Polmont

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Polmont (1842-)

Opened on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway.


Description

This is a two platform station on the Edinburgh and Glasgow main line. There is a station building on the eastbound platform.

As originally built there was a siding on the eastbound side, west of the station, and accessed from the east. Further sidings and a goods shed were on the westbound side, accessed from the west, and east of the station. Polmont Goods was later moved west of Polmont Junction.

The station expanded to have a further two platforms to the west - two platforms for westbound services provided by adding two lines on either side of the mainline - and a further platform to the east - a bay platform for eastbound trains, on the north side of the line. These platforms no longer exist or are no longer in use.


Tags

Station

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map