Polmont Junction

Location type

Junction


Name and dates

Polmont Junction (1850-)

Opened on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway.

Opened on the Stirlingshire Midland Junction Railway.


Description

This junction is between the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway of 1842 and the Stirlingshire Midland Junction Railway of 1850.

A signal box was opened in 1872, located on the north side of the line just east of the junction.

To the west, and on the south side of the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway, Polmont Shed was opened. A yard was opened with sidings on the north side of the main line approached from the east (Polmont Goods) and further sidings to the south approached from the west. The shed was just to the south.

To the east were additional platform lines for Polmont, one on the north side and one on the south. Both were approached from the west. This made Polmont a five platform station (there was also a bay at the east end).

By the 1960s a grain silo to the north of the Stirlingshire line was also rail served, approached from the junction to its east. This facility had its own engine shed.

The box was replaced by Polmont Power Box in 1979.

The junction was simplified to a double track junction with loops on the eastbound lines to the immediate east of the junction.

It is now a grade separated junction.


Tags

Junction