Stirlingshire Midland Junction Railway

Introduction

This railway is open. The line runs from Polmont to Carmuirs. The line was also known as the Polmont Junction Railway.






Dates

  /  /1800Blackadder Engineering Works
Founded, beside the [Stirlingshire Midland Junction Railway] at Grahamston
  /  /1846[Stirlingshire Midland Junction Railway]
Act receives Royal assent
  /  /1846[Stirlingshire Midland Junction Railway]
[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Stirlingshire Midland Junction Railway absorbed by Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway
  /  /1850[Stirlingshire Midland Junction Railway]
Opened
  /  /1851[Stirlingshire Midland Junction Railway]
Under construction, also known as the Polmont Junction Railway. Roman remains found at Carmuirs.
  /  /1858[Carron Ironworks]
Railway connection opened from [Stirlingshire Midland Junction Railway].
  /  /1860[Carron Ironworks]
Tramway to Bainsford Basin on the [Forth and Clyde Canal] abandoned after railway opened from [Stirlingshire Midland Junction Railway].
  /  /1870Vulcan Iron Works
Founded, beside the [Stirlingshire Midland Junction Railway] at Grahamston
  /  /1877Callander Iron Company
Founded, beside the [Stirlingshire Midland Junction Railway] at Grahamston.
  /  /1899[Stirlingshire Midland Junction Railway]
Swing bridge over the canal in Falkirk replaced
  /09/1994[Stirlingshire Midland Junction Railway]
Camelon station opened

Portions of line and locations

This line is divided into a number of portions.


Polmont to Larbert

This junction is between the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway of 1842 and the Stirlingshire Midland Junction Railway of 1850.
...

More details
A Waverley bound 158 joins the E&G main line at Polmont Junction on 7 August. ...
John Furnevel 07/08/2007
An Edinburgh - Dunblane 158 service, having just left the Edinburgh and Glasgow main line at Polmont Junction (at the bridge in the left background) ...
John Furnevel 07/08/2007
An eastbound empty stock movement runs through Polmont Junction on 23 April 2010. The area on the left was once occupied by the shed and sidings of ...
John Furnevel 23/04/2010
The daily Edinburgh - Alloa direct service leaves the EGML at Polmont Junction on 2 September. Note the floodlights that have recently been installed ...
David Panton 02/09/2009

This panel box is on the north side of Polmont Junction. It replaced Polmont Junction and Bo'ness Junction signal boxes in 1979.
...

More details


This box was west of Polmont Junction on the Stirlingshire Midland Junction Railway. Meadowbank Colliery was located nearby.
...

More details

This mineral depot was between Grangemouth Junction and Polmont. It was to the south west of Laurieston itself. The depot consisted of a single short siding on the east side of the line, approached from the south. There was a temporary signal box here in 1899. ...

More details

Also known as Grangemouth Branch Junction. Here the former Grangemouth Railway (Forth and Clyde Canal) meets the 1850 former Stirlingshire Midland Junction Railway. Approach is from the west.
...

More details
66433 powers uphill to Grangemouth Junction, looking west, in August 2018. This was a grabshot I almost missed as the train came on far more quickly ...
Mark Poustie 04/08/2018
Hold up. Scene at Grangemouth Junction, looking east on 25 July 2011, with 66147 brought to a halt at signals awaiting entry to the Grangemouth ...
John Furnevel 25/07/2011
Looking east to Grangemouth Junction signalbox on 20 March 1992. The structure which replaced it was decommissioned in December 2017.
...
Bill Roberton 20/03/1992
The 14.04 Edinburgh Waverley - Dunblane DMU approaches Falkirk Grahamston on 25 July 2011. The train is about to pass DBS 66147, held at signals as it ...
John Furnevel 25/07/2011

This station is served by local trains unlike Falkirk High, to the south, on the Edinburgh and Glasgow main line. Grahamston station is to the north of the town centre.
...

More details
Dunblane (right) and Edinburgh trains pass at Grahamston on 14 March 2019. From December 2018 daytime departures here leapt from a long-standing 5 an ...
David Panton 14/03/2019
Class 385s have been the more usual fare on Edinburgh - Cumbernauld - Glasgow services but here on 14 March 2019 a 380 takes a turn. Suddenly they ...
David Panton 14/03/2019
365509 draws away from Falkirk Grahamston with a Dunblane - Edinburgh service. ...
Bill Roberton 05/03/2019
Having arrived from Glasgow Queen Street 158 704 has a clearout of passengers before heading for the Grangemouth branch to change ends. It would be ...
David Panton 07/06/2018

This signal box was at the east end of the Swing Bridge over the Forth and Clyde Canal in Camelon/Falkirk. It was subsidiary to Swing Bridge West Box just across the canal. Both boxes opened in 1899 (the west box replacing an earlier box) when the swing bridge was replaced with a double track bridge, before this it was single track. The west box was the principal as it controlled the ...

More details
A 158 crossing the Forth & Clyde Canal at Swing Bridge East (lock no 9) in 1995. ...
James C Wilson Collection //1995
DRS 66432 crosses the Forth and Clyde Canal between Falkirk Grahamston and Camelon with the 4A13 Grangemouth - Aberdeen intermodal on 30 May. Swing ...
Bill Roberton 30/05/2014
A westbound train shortly after leaving Grahamston on 23 September 2008 crossing the Forth and Clyde Canal at Swing Bridge East, photographed from ...
John Furnevel 23/09/2008
Swing Bridge East signal box stands on the east side of the Forth & Clyde canal at Falkirk in June 1997. ...
David Panton /06/1997

This was a double track junction. It was formed between the Stirlingshire Midland Junction Railway (1850)
...

More details
170478 was the last Turbostar in SPT livery. It has been transformed into Saltire colours and is here working the 11.58 from Dunblane to Edinburgh on ...
Bill Roberton 30/05/2014

This signal box controlled the swing bridge over the Forth and Clyde Canal at Camelon and the approaches. At first the swing bridge carried a single line on an otherwise double track railway. The box was on the west side of the canal and the south side of the railway.
...

More details

An island platform station east of the present Camelon station. The lines still part here for the removed platform, which is why there are two bridges over Stirling Road. A bricked up archway can be found below the bridges to the west of the former station. The station building was more Caledonian Railway than North British Railway in style with a timber building with canopies on the ...

More details

This is a minimal modern two platform station. It is on the west side of the Stirling Road. On the east side the two lines part, having formerly passed round either side of an island platform (the former Falkirk Camelon station).
...

More details
An Edinburgh to Dunblane train calls at Camelon in the last months (surely) of diesel services in the area. 25th October 2018. ...
David Panton 25/10/2018
Looking east at Falkirk Camelon station. ...
Ewan Crawford //
A Dunblane to Edinburgh service calls at Camelon on 16 November 2017. The OHLE
...
David Panton 16/11/2017
An Edinburgh to Dunblane service calls at Camelon on 6 June 2019. Behind it, the track divergence betrays the site of the old, island station which ...
David Panton 06/06/2019

66249, with loaded coal train, passing east at Carmuirs East Junction in 2000. ...
Ewan Crawford //2000
The refurbished signal box at Carmuirs East Junction in January 2016. ...
Ross Wilson 13/01/2016
Carmuirs East Junction box looking east. ...
Ewan Crawford //
The lever frame in Carmuirs East signal box in 1990. Makes an interesting comparison with the configuration today [see image 53931]. Access by kind ...
Ewan Crawford //1990

At this junction the lines from Greenhill Lower Junction (for Glasgow Queen Street High Level and the south) and Falkirk Grahamston (for Edinburgh Waverley and the south) meet to run north to Larbert, Stirling and Perth. All lines are double track.
...

More details
View north from The Boardwalk car park alongside Millenium Wheel Drive on 15 June 2004. In the background an SPT liveried 170 DMU is passing through ...
John Furnevel 15/06/2004
With the location almost unrecognisable, this is 158867 coming round the curve from Edinburgh to meet the Glasgow line at Larbert Junction. ...
Ewan Crawford 08/10/2017
Eastbound DMU heads south from Larbert to Larbert Junction. ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
158 720 heads north at Larbert Junction in July 1996.
...
David Panton /07/1996




Carmuirs West Junction to Carmuirs East Junction

This curve was a later addition which provided a new route through Falkirk for Edinburgh-Glasgow and local services.

In 1882 the Caledonian Railway built a double track curve to link together the 1848 former Scottish Central Railway and the 1850 former Stirlingshire Midland Junction Railway such that a train from the Glasgow direction could run to Falkirk Grahamston (and on to Grangemouth or even Edinburgh Princes Street) without reversal at Larbert Junction. The signal box was on the ...

More details
Carmuirs West Junction box viewed from the east. ...
Ewan Crawford //
Carmuirs West box (top right) viewed from the trackbed of the Denny branch in 1988. ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
66201 heads west past Carmuirs West box on 25 May with coal empties. ...
Bill Roberton 25/05/2007
EWS 66107 about to pass Carmuirs West box with a Hunterston - Longannet coal train in June 2004. The train is on the steep climb north after passing ...
John Furnevel 15/06/2004

66249, with loaded coal train, passing east at Carmuirs East Junction in 2000. ...
Ewan Crawford //2000
The refurbished signal box at Carmuirs East Junction in January 2016. ...
Ross Wilson 13/01/2016
Carmuirs East Junction box looking east. ...
Ewan Crawford //
The lever frame in Carmuirs East signal box in 1990. Makes an interesting comparison with the configuration today [see image 53931]. Access by kind ...
Ewan Crawford //1990