The Drumpeller Railway of 1847 (alternative spelling Drumpellar or Drumpellier) connected the Monkland Canal to the Drumpeller Estate and in particular the Bredisholm pits. The line ran SSE from Cuilhill Basin on the canal.
It crossed over the Glasgow and Coatbridge Railway of 1870 and Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway of 1865.
The railway was bought by the Caledonian Railway in 1867.
The Tannochside Branch (Caledonian Railway) (1867) served the same area and was interconnected with the Drumpeller Railway.
The Drumpeller Incline portion, the north part, closed after a curve opened from the Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway. The remainder closed bit by bit finally closing in the 1930s. Although the line is long closed some structures remain.
Line authorised with permission for the Monkland Canal to buy the railway.
Line partly opened to minerals.
|/ /1848||Drumpeller Railway|
Extension of time allowed to complete line.
|/ /1851||Drumpeller Railway
Forth and Clyde Canal|
The Drumpeller Railway is purchased by the Forth and Clyde Canal (not the Monkland Canal with which it connected).
|/ /1867||Forth and Clyde Canal
Forth and Cart Canal
Grangemouth Railway (Forth and Clyde Canal Company))
Forth and Clyde Canal (Forth and Clyde Navigation), Monkland Canal, Forth and Cart Canal and various assets such as the Grangemouth Railway (Forth and Clyde Canal Company)) and Drumpeller Railway, bought by the Caledonian Railway to compete with the North British Railway in the Forth - Clyde Valley. The North British Railway is given running powers over the Grangemouth Railway (Forth and Clyde Canal Company)). Caledonian Railway given running powers over the Stirlingshire Midland Junction Railway to Larbert Junction
|/ /1872||Drumpeller Railway|
Widening of the tracked and standardising of gauge authorised.
|/ /1872||Tannochside Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Connection between the Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway and Drumpeller Railway (being converted to standard gauge) authorised.
|02/10/1872||Tannochside Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Connection between the Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway and Drumpeller Railway opened for mineral traffic.
Northern part of the railway to Cuilhill Canal Basin out of use.
|/ /1921||Straiton Lime Works|
Locomotive 'Drumpeller' transferred from Lanarkshire. (The Drumpeller Railway?)
This line is divided into a number of portions.
This was an exchange yard to the south west of Bredisholm Collieries Pit No 1 where a mineral branch of the Glasgow, Bothwell, Hamilton and Coatbridge Railway, running from Maryville, met the Drumpeller Railway mineral line.