|/05/1836||Forth and Cart Canal|
Act passed for the Forth and Cart Canal for a short half mile canal running south from the Forth and Clyde Canal at Clydebank to the River Clyde via a ladder of locks, single midway lock and lower ladder of locks. The canal was to provide a short cut from the Forth and Clyde Canal to Paisley via the River Cart.
|27/05/1840||Forth and Cart Canal|
|/ /1845||Forth and Cart Canal|
Authorised to make connection to Union Canal.
|/ /1867||Forth and Clyde Canal
Forth and Cart Canal
Grangemouth Railway (Forth and Clyde Canal Company))
Forth and Clyde Canal (Forth and Clyde Navigation), Monkland Canal, Forth and Cart Canal and various assets such as the Grangemouth Railway (Forth and Clyde Canal Company)) and Drumpeller Railway, bought by the Caledonian Railway to compete with the North British Railway in the Forth - Clyde Valley. The North British Railway is given running powers over the Grangemouth Railway (Forth and Clyde Canal Company)). Caledonian Railway given running powers over the Stirlingshire Midland Junction Railway to Larbert Junction
|/ /1870||Clyde Bank Iron Shipyard [2nd]|
J. & G. Thomson relocated their company from Clyde Bank Iron Shipyard [1st] to a new shipyard at West Barns O' Clyde and, to maintain continuity, retained the name 'Clyde Bank Iron Shipyard'. The Forth and Cart Canal ran down the east of the site.
|01/12/1882||Glasgow, Yoker and Clydebank Railway|
Opened from Yoker Junction, Hyndland, to Clydebank [1st] (later Clydebank East). This line was used in conjunction with a ferry over the Clyde and the Stobcross Railway station at Partick for shipyard workers who lived in Govan to travel to the Clyde Bank Iron Shipyard [2nd] which had re-located from Govan. A line ran west from Clydebank [1st] into the shipyard over the Forth and Cart Canal.
|/ /1893||Forth and Cart Canal|
Caledonian Railway applies for an Act to close the canal. The route of the canal will be required for the promoted Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway.
|15/06/1896||Forth and Cart Canal|
In Clydebank the Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway line makes use of some of the former route of the Forth and Cart Canal between Clydebank [CR] and Kilbowie. This swing north under the North British Railway to pass through Kilbowie Road station and then pass back over the NBR was planned to avoid the northern part of the Clyde Bank Iron Shipyard [2nd] and serve the Singer Works. A portion of the canal was left at either end, the southern part on the east side of the Clyde Bank Iron Shipyard [2nd].
|12/12/1911||Forth and Cart Canal|
Southern portion of canal lease to John Brown and Company.