This is a modern two platform station which replaced Partickhill just to the north west.
The station serves Partick and, along with Partick [Subway], is closest to the Riverside Museum (Riverside Museum ) although a fair walk and crossing over the River Kelvin is required.
Merkland Street [Subway]
Hyndland Power Box
| Merkland Street Tunnel|
Partickhill Goods [NBR]
Tod and McGregor's Graving Dock
Partick East Junction
Meadowside Shipbuilding Yard
Pointhouse Shipbuilding Yard
Partick North Junction
Partickhill Goods [CR]
Water Row Ship Yard
Finnieston West Junction
Govan Old Parish Church
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|01/12/1882||Glasgow, Yoker and Clydebank Railway|
Opened from Yoker Junction, Hyndland, to Clydebank [1st] (later Clydebank East). This line was used in conjunction with a ferry over the Clyde and the Stobcross Railway station at Partick for shipyard workers who lived in Govan to travel to the Clyde Bank Iron Shipyard [2nd] which had re-located from Govan. A line ran west from Clydebank [1st] into the shipyard over the Forth and Cart Canal.
|17/12/1979||Glasgow City and District Railway|
Partickhill closed and replaced by Partick (incorporates Merkland Street [Subway] station).
|09/12/1994||Glasgow Central Railway|
The River Kelvin bursts its banks and floods the disused tunnels from Kelvin Bridge to Stobcross, where it floods the open Argyle Line railway. The route through Glasgow Central Low Level is closed between Partick and Rutherglen and trains are diverted onto the Sunnyside Junction to Whifflet section of the Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway for access to Motherwell. This remains in operation for around nine months.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways