Stobcross Railway

Introduction

This railway is mostly open. The line was originally conceived to provide rail access (for goods) to the new Queens Dock and the expanding west end of Glasgow.

After completion of the Glasgow City and District Railway by the North British Railway the line came into use by commuters.

Now with the withdrawal of nearly all freight operations from the area the lines are now electrified with services running to Helensburgh, Balloch, Dumbarton, Dalmuir, Clydebank, Singer and Milngavie. The Queens Dock is now the Scottish Exhibition Centre and the Kelvinhaugh, Stobcross and Partickhill goods yards have been closed. Recently the Anniesland to Maryhill curve was re-instated.






Dates

  /  /1870[Stobcross Railway]
Act passed. A 30 chain diversion of the Forth and Clyde Canal was required. The line curved round the west of Glasgow after opposition for a more direct route, particularly of James Fleming of Kelvinside Estate.
20/10/1874[Stobcross Railway]
Line opened by the [North British Railway]. The [Caledonian Railway] obtained permission for running powers to Stobcross and for goods yards at Partickhill and Stobcross. The Caledonian managed to gain join ownership of the Stobcross high level to Stobcross low level connecting line.
  /  /1875[Stobcross Railway]
Branch opened to Knightswood pits and brickworks, later extended to Cowdenhill stone quarries.
01/02/1887[Glasgow City and District Railway]
[Coatbridge Branch] ([North British Railway])
[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
[Glasgow Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway]
[Stobcross Railway]
Circular service introduced by the [North British Railway].
12/01/1903[Glasgow City and District Railway]
[Coatbridge Branch] ([North British Railway])
[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
[Glasgow Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway]
[Stobcross Railway]
Circular service withdrawn.
09/01/1931[Stobcross Railway]
Great Western Road station renamed Anniesland.
15/07/1968[Stobcross Railway]
Kelvinhaugh Junction to Queens Dock closed.
  /  /1986[Stobcross Railway]
[Glasgow Central Railway]
Finnieston renamed Exhibition Centre.
  /  /1997[Stobcross Railway]
Partickhill station and goods shed demolished to make may for a Sainsburys supermarket and other stores. The yard here was used during the Yoker re-signaling scheme.

Portions of line and locations

This line is divided into a number of portions.


Maryhill to Kelvinhaugh Junction

This is a two platform station in the north of Maryhill. The current station is a reopening of 1993 on the site of the earlier station.
...

More details
An Anniesland to Queen Street service calls at Maryhill on 21 July 2018. This is the only intermediate station with any features. The indefatigable ...
David Panton 21/07/2018
GBRf 66740 Sarah at Maryhill heading for the West Highland line with the North Blyth to Fort William alumina train on 31st October 2017.
...
Alastair McLellan 31/10/2017
West Coast EE Type 3 37518 seen at Maryhill with 'The Jacobite' empty coaching stock returning to Carnforth on 31st October 2017.
...
Alastair McLellan 31/10/2017
47804 leading an empty coaching movement from Fort William to Carnforth through Maryhill on 30th October 2017.
...
Alastair McLellan 30/10/2017



Also known as Gas Works No 2, Glasgow Corporation.
...

More details


This is a single platform station. It is built on the former westbound line of the curve between Maryhill Park Junction and Knightswood South Junction.
...

More details
From the publicity: 'Friends of Kelvindale Railway Station are creating a Butterfly ...
Ewan Crawford 07/04/2017
Kelvindale's connection with Van Gogh escapes me, but there is a fine selection of his works on display. I suspect though that they may be ...
David Panton 17/06/2017
156432 rounds the curve into the Kelvindale platform with a Glasgow Queen Street service on 17/06/2017. ...
David Panton 17/06/2017
Kelvindale station, a sanctuary for butterflies and moths ... ...
John Yellowlees 03/08/2017

This gas works was opened by the Partick, Hillhead and Maryhill Gas Company. Glasgow Corporation bought the works in 1891, naming i Gasworks No 4.
...

More details

This junction is to the north of Anniesland station. To the east the original line, the Stobcross Railway of 1874 runs to Maryhill Park Junction, just west of Maryhill. To the west the Glasgow City and District Railway of 1886 runs to Knightswood North Junction, just east of Westerton. Both forks meet the Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway, the west one ...

More details
A Rutherglen service passing Knightswood South Junction on the approach to Anniesland. Rutherglen is not normally a destination, but engineering works ...
David Panton 25/08/2018
156458 on route learning duties approaches the new crossover accessing the recently installed connecting spur to the Maryhill line. This DMU is using ...
Colin McDonald 28/01/2016
Seen shortly after leaving platform 3 at Anniesland, 156495 forms the 1156 Queen Street via Maryhill service. In the left background strengthening ...
Colin McDonald 20/09/2017
View south over Knightswood South Junction. ...
Ewan Crawford 23/10/2016

This is a three platform station on an elevated site. There are two through platforms and a bay platform at the north end of the southbound (city bound) platform for trains to Glasgow Queen Street High Level via Maryhill.
...

More details
A 320 with a Dalmuir to Cumbernauld service calls at Anniesland on
...
David Panton 17/06/2017
A Balloch services crosses Great Western Road and rolls into Anniesland station on 25 August 2018. I do wish my predictive text would stop giving me ...
David Panton 25/08/2018
A Class 318 EMU heading for Cumbernauld calls at Anniesland on 17 November 2018. ...
David Panton 17/11/2018
Unusually, this Maryhill line service at Anniesland is formed of a 170 with
...
David Panton 17/06/2017

One of John Thomas's books makes reference to a bridge built of 'found stones'. This isn't that bridge but I've always thought it has that sort of ...
Ewan Crawford 09/12/2016

A Larkhall service between Anniesland and Hyndland stations rounds the curve to Hyndland East Junction on 17 November 2018. ...
David Panton 17/11/2018
Approaching Hyndland East Junction. ...
Ewan Crawford //2001
Gresley V1 2-6-2T 67603 takes a train for Drumry through Whiteinch East Junction (now Hyndland East) on 17 April 1957 [ref query 1039]. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 17/04/1957
Safety 365. Impressive artwork at Jordanhill in the 'v' of Hyndland East Junction. ...
John Yellowlees 08/04/2016

Junction between the Stobcross Railway and the Whiteinch Railway. ...

More details


This is an island platform station which was opened in 1960 during the electrification of the North Clyde lines.
...

More details
A Balloch to Airdrie service calls at Hyndland on 8 September 2018. Hyndland sees the same trains as Partick which means they are as near to nose to ...
David Panton 08/09/2018
Hyndland Halloween. Spooky! ...
John Yellowlees 23/10/2017
A Cumbernauld service enters Hyndland on 7 July. With a train to town every 4 minutes local residents are pretty well served. ...
David Panton 07/07/2018
320311 leaving Hyndland for Dalmuir on 17th July 2018.
...
Beth Crawford 17/07/2018

Opened with the Hyndland [1st] branch.
...

More details


Looking south at the site of the former Partickhill goods yard, now a Sainsburys. ...
Ewan Crawford //
26 reversing into Partickhill Goods with a train associated with the Yoker resignalling scheme. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987
26 reversing into Partickhill Goods with a train associated with the Yoker resignalling scheme. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987
Leaf removal train passing the former Partickhill goods yard. ...
Ewan Crawford //

This was an elevated two platform station on the north side of Dumbarton Road. The station was replaced by Partick station in 1979, just across Dumbarton Road on its south side.
...

More details
The opening of the Argyle Line in 1979 brought a new interchange station called Partick, with Partickhill closed the previous day.  At least that was ...
David Panton 16/06/2010
Gresley N2 0-6-2T 69563 arrives at Partickhill on 28 March 1957 at the head of a Hyndland to Easterhouse train. [See image 29517] ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 28/03/1957
Partick station (ex N.B.R). N.B. 4.4.2T 7456 passing through. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 05/06/1948

This is a modern two platform station which replaced Partickhill just to the north west.
...

More details
320306 seen at Partick station from the city bound platform. ...
Veronica Clibbery 31/10/2018
Apologies for the odd viewpoint but it's the best I could do without trespassing! A reminder to drivers on the western approach to Partick station. ...
David Panton 11/11/2017
A Larkhall service at Patrick on 04/03/2017. ...
David Panton 04/03/2017
An Edinburgh service calls at busy Partick on Saturday 19 May. Trains are pretty much nose-to-tail here, as at Hyndland which sees exactly the same ...
David Panton 19/05/2018

Eastbound train crossing the Kelvin between Partick and Yorkhill. ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
66737 on 6E45 Fort William - Blyth Alcans crossing the River Kelvin at Partick being re-routed through Glasgow Central Low Level due to the landslip ...
Ian Millar 07/04/2017
Under the Kelvin Viaduct looking west towards Partick in 2000. Another railway bridge passed underneath this one, coming from the right hand side ...
Ewan Crawford //2000

This was a two platform station. It was located at what is now Finnieston West Junction. The station was elevated on the east side of Ferry Road with the platform building above the slopping embankments. The line remains open today.
...

More details
A westbound emu on the viaduct at Yorkhill on 22 April 2014. ...
Colin Miller 22/04/2014
A Helensburgh Central - Bridgeton Central train passing the site of Yorkhill station (closed 1921) on 5 August 1957. Locomotive in charge is V1 2-6-2T ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 05/08/1957
A 318 emu heads west along Yorkhill viaduct on 5 July 2009. ...
Colin Miller 05/07/2009
Westbound emu at Yorkhill. No vehicles in the way on the Expressway! ...
Colin Miller 08/12/2016

Finneston West Junction looking east. Eastbound train running down to Exhibition Centre. The westbound trains from Exhibition Centre take a different ...
Ewan Crawford //1988



This was the junction between the lines to, from north to south, Kelvinhaugh Goods, Queen Street Low Level and Stobcross Goods [NBR], and the line dropping down to Stobcross Goods Low Level (which served the Queens Dock.
...

More details
A Milngavie bound train runs through Kelvinhaugh Junction on 28 May 1957 behind Eastfield shed's ex-NBR C16 4-4-2T no 67500. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 28/05/1957
A busy scene at Kelvinhaugh Junction on 28 May 1957, as hard working V3 2-6-2T no 67612 approaches with a train for Clydebank East. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 28/05/1957
N15 0-6-0T 69208 shunting at Kelvinhaugh Junction on 28 May 1957. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 28/05/1957
Looking east over Kelvinhaugh Junction on 28 May 1957 as V1 2-6-2T 67681 appears with a train bound for Singer. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 28/05/1957




Queens Dock branch

This was the junction between the lines to, from north to south, Kelvinhaugh Goods, Queen Street Low Level and Stobcross Goods [NBR], and the line dropping down to Stobcross Goods Low Level (which served the Queens Dock.
...

More details
A Milngavie bound train runs through Kelvinhaugh Junction on 28 May 1957 behind Eastfield shed's ex-NBR C16 4-4-2T no 67500. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 28/05/1957
A busy scene at Kelvinhaugh Junction on 28 May 1957, as hard working V3 2-6-2T no 67612 approaches with a train for Clydebank East. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 28/05/1957
N15 0-6-0T 69208 shunting at Kelvinhaugh Junction on 28 May 1957. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 28/05/1957
Looking east over Kelvinhaugh Junction on 28 May 1957 as V1 2-6-2T 67681 appears with a train bound for Singer. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 28/05/1957

An Edinburgh - Helensburgh service crosses the bridge over Sandyford Street on its way to Partick on 9th June 2015. This stretch of line from ...
Colin McDonald 09/06/2015
PS Waverley awaiting the season. ...
John Yellowlees 07/04/2016
Seen here in the dusk on 7th November, major work on the bridge at Sandyford Street took place over the weekend of 7-8th November 2015, closing both ...
Colin McDonald 07/11/2015
Finnieston East Junction looking east. Viewed from westbound train on the Queen Street line. This incline gave access to the Queens Dock from ...
Ewan Crawford 05/05/2006

This goods depot was located next to the Queens Dock on the north side of Pointhouse Road. By reversal a set of holding sidings could be reached to the west. Sidings serving the quaysides were south of the road.
...

More details
Looking east at what was once part of the railway serving the Queens Dock. The line connected to the mainline at Stobcross. To the left is the open ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
The former goods depot at Stobcross low level, alongside Queen's Dock, looking east towards Glasgow city centre in September 1958. Locomotives in the ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 09/09/1958

This was a large dock to the west of central Glasgow on the north bank of the River Clyde. It was served by the Stobcross Railway. The dock was infilled and is now the site of the Scottish Exhibition Centre.
...

More details
The Pumphouse close to the entry to the former Queens Dock, now the exhibition centre, seen from a passing train. The Clydeside Expressway was ...
Beth Crawford 18/05/2017
Looking at the site of the former approach lines to the Queens Dock, now the Clydeside Expressway. View looks east. ...
Ewan Crawford //

This quay was on the north bank of the River Clyde opposite Plantation Quay. At the east end of the quay is the Stobcross Crane used to load locomotives onto ships. Some dockside lines remain, disconnected from the network. The Queens Dock was developed to the north of the quay. ...

More details
The Stobcross (or Finnieston) crane, grade A listed building, erected 1931 by Clyde Navigation Trust to load locomotives onto ships. Glasgow was the ...
Alistair MacKenzie //
Stobcross Crane with George Wylie's Straw Locomotive. [Thanks for the additional information CRM]. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987
The Stobcross (or Finnieston) crane, grade A listed building, erected 1931 by Clyde Navigation Trust. Domed building (on the left) was southern access ...
Alistair MacKenzie //
Queen Mary II at Stobcross in 1977, with her masts shortened to allow her under the Kingston Bridge up to Bridge Wharf. Nearest the camera is ...
Colin Miller //1977





Kelvinhaugh and Stobcross High Level

This was the junction between the lines to, from north to south, Kelvinhaugh Goods, Queen Street Low Level and Stobcross Goods [NBR], and the line dropping down to Stobcross Goods Low Level (which served the Queens Dock.
...

More details
A Milngavie bound train runs through Kelvinhaugh Junction on 28 May 1957 behind Eastfield shed's ex-NBR C16 4-4-2T no 67500. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 28/05/1957
A busy scene at Kelvinhaugh Junction on 28 May 1957, as hard working V3 2-6-2T no 67612 approaches with a train for Clydebank East. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 28/05/1957
N15 0-6-0T 69208 shunting at Kelvinhaugh Junction on 28 May 1957. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 28/05/1957
Looking east over Kelvinhaugh Junction on 28 May 1957 as V1 2-6-2T 67681 appears with a train bound for Singer. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 28/05/1957


Gresley V3 67626 passing the former Stobcross shed on 14 July 1961 with a Helensburgh Central - Bridgeton Central train. The two road dead end shed, ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 14/07/1961

This was the junction between the approach to Stobcross Goods [NBR] and the line to Glasgow Queen Street Low Level.
...

More details

This large goods yard was one of the termini, with Kelvinhaugh Goods located to the west, of the Stobcross Railway opened in 1874. The goods yard was located at a higher level than Stobcross Goods Low Level, immediately to the south and the Queens Dock beyond. The yard was accessed from the west, from Stobcross Junction.
...

More details