Great Western Road (1886-1931)
Opened on the Stobcross Railway.
Open on the Glasgow to Anniesland via Maryhill.
This is a three platform station on an elevated site. There are two through platforms and a bay platform at the north end of the southbound (city bound) platform for trains to Glasgow Queen Street High Level via Maryhill.
To the south a large bowstring girder bridge crosses Great Western Road and to the north is Knightswood South Junction.
The station did not open with the line, the Stobcross Railway of 1874. It opened when the Glasgow City and District Railway connected various North British Railway lines in the west of Glasgow to form a new east-west route through the city below Glasgow Queen Street High Level.
The main station building is on the southbound platform.
Both platforms had North British Railway style buildings, that on the southbound platform having greatly extended canopies. This was cut back during preparations for electrification and both buildings were demolished in 1969.
There were goods sidings on either side of the station, approached from the north from Knightswood South Junction. See that entry for more details.
The line between Glasgow Queen Street High Level and Anniesland is supported and promoted by the Glasgow North Community Rail Partnership .
Scotstoun Show Yard
Whiteinch Victoria Park
Other railway and industry locations
Knightswood South Junction
Temple Gas Works
Temple Gas Works
Hyndland North Junction
Skaterig Brick and Tileworks
Maryhill West Signal Box
Hyndland East Junction
Hyndland West Junction
Dawsholm Signal Box
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways