Knightswood South Junction (1886-1980)
Opened on the Glasgow City and District Railway.
Opened on the Stobcross Railway.
Opened on the Cowdenhill Branch (North British Railway).
This junction is to the north of Anniesland station. To the east the original line, the Stobcross Railway of 1874 runs to Maryhill Park Junction, just west of Maryhill. This closed in 1980 and reopened in 2005.
To the north west the 1875 Cowdenhill Branch (North British Railway) (also known as the Knightswood Branch on OS maps) ran north west to pits, quarries, brick works and factories. This closed in 1965.
To the north the Glasgow City and District Railway of 1886 runs to Knightswood North Junction, just east of Westerton. This flies under the Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway to make the connection.
To the south west were sidings serving the west goods yard, University Press, and Barr and Stroud beyond which an early mineral line had run to Skaterigg iron pits (nothing of this now remains).
To the north east a mineral line ran to the Anniesland Gas Works No 4. This opened around 1893 and closed around 1971.
The signal box was located in the 'V' of the junction and aligned with the approach to the tunnel. It closed in 1960 in the run up to electrification. It was taken over by Hyndland Power Box.
Hyndland Panel Box
Scotstoun Show Yard
Other railway and industry locations
Knightswood South Junction
Temple Iron Works
Barr and Stroud Works
Temple Gas Works
Skaterigg Engine Pit
Knightswood Mineral Depot
Skaterigg Colliery Pit No 14
Maryhill West Signal Box
Temple Brick Works
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways