This is a single lead junction where the double track line between Westerton station and Anniesland is met by a single track from Cowlairs West Junction, this doubling shortly after the junction going east. (The junction has been converted into a single lead junction.) It is located just north of the Forth and Clyde Canal.
The junction was formerly double, but singled in the Yoker Resignalling Scheme.
The original line was the Cowlairs route, the Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway of 1858. This was met by the Glasgow City and District Railway of 1886 - a new curve which connected, by a flyunder junction from Knightswood South Junction just north of Anniesland, the existing line to the former Stobcross Railway such that a train from the Stobcross line could run westwards. The Stobcross line itself was extended east to High Street station passing under Glasgow Queen Street High Level.
The signal box was on the south side of the lines, above the Forth and Clyde Canal. It closed in 1959, taken over by the box at Westerton Junction.
When the Maryhill service recommenced from Glasgow Queen Street High Level in 1993 trains terminated at Maryhill but had to run west to the junction to change from the westbound to the eastbound track using the single lead. This fouled the junction, even although the train did not run onto the Anniesland-Westerton section, and reduced its capacity. As part of the increased frequency of trains expected with the Larkhall re-opening it was decided to take these terminating trains to Anniesland on a re-opened Maryhill Park Junction to Anniesland curve. With the opening of this a greater frequency of trains could run through Knightswood North Junction.
Scotstoun Show Yard
| Garscube Quarry|
Netherton Rubber Works
Knightswood Brick Works
Garscube Iron Works
Garscube Brick and Tile Works
Temple Park Iron Works
Temple Brick Works
Cowdenhill Western Colliery
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|01/08/1886||Glasgow City and District Railway|
Knightswood North Junction to Knightswood South Junction opened. The section included a tunnel under the Forth and Clyde Canal and Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways
Glasgow Railway Memories
Glasgow's Last Days of Steam
Rails Around Glasgow
The Railways of Glasgow: Post-Beeching
The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)