This is a two platform terminus of the line from Hamilton (Haughhead Junction).
The line is single track from Allanton Loop to the north and doubles before entering the station.
There is a car park to the south.
The station is built on the same site as the station closed in 1965. The platforms survived and there were hopes to re-used them but clearance was insufficient. The present platforms are straight, the former ones on a gentle curve.
The original station had a street level building on Caledonian Road. Below were canopied platform buildings and a covered footbridge. The signal box was built in under the east side of the footbridge.
To the south was the large goods yard, on the east side of the line. This, and the former southbound trackbed, are the carpark. The goods yard was approached via a long reversing spur which start from just south of MacNeil Street and reached almost as far as the Broomhill Viaduct.
With the opening of Larkhall Central in 1905, Larkhall [1st] became Larkhall East.
The line was single track north to Merryton Junction, north of today's Merryton station and south of today's Allanton Loop. Just to the north of the station was Raploch Colliery Nos 1 and 2.
The next station north is Merryton and the next station south was Stonehouse [Lanarkshire]. To reach the later the line crossed the Broomhill Viaduct.
The station closed to passengers in 1965, the box closing with it. The line remained open until 1968/69 to serve the Auchlochan Nos 9 and 10 Collieries.
Although station buildings the platforms and trackbed survived the closure and remained, becoming increasingly overgrown until the line's re-opening.
| Raploch Colliery Nos 1 and 2|
Larkhall Water Tank Signal Box
Bog Colliery Pits Nos 1, 2 and 3
Dykehead Signal Box
Quarter No 2 Colliery
Millburn Chemical Works
Struther Colliery No 5 Pit
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|