Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.Opened on the Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway).
This was a two platform station to the north east of Larkhall. The main station building was on the northbound line with a waiting room on the southbound.
The station had a goods yard with loading banks and a goods shed to east of the passenger platforms. This was located on the north side of the running lines and was accessed from the east.
When opened the line was originally single track, later doubled, and from opening of the station there was a loop here.
To the east was Skellyton Colliery, on the south side of the line with sidings looped from the line.
There was a signal box which was located at the east end of the station on the south side of the line between the colliery loop lines and main line.
Station and box were renamed Larkhall East in 1905 on the opening of Larkhall Central on the Mid Lanark Lines (Caledonian Railway). The new station was (and is) in the west of Larkhall.
The box closed in 1940 when the line was singled. The southbound line through the station was retained, to access the goods yard, and just east the remaining line was the northbound line. Merryton Junction (to the north where the Mid Lanark Lines met the older railway) was taken out and the two lines ran north as two parallel single tracks to Ferniegair Junction.
The station closed to passengers in 1951. Complete closure was in 1964 when the remaining minerals only line to Canderside Colliery closed.
The site was reused after closure. Platforms were removed but the goods shed survived for a time. Some portions of loading bank remain here.
| Skellyton Colliery|
Larkhall Water Tank Signal Box
Raploch Colliery Nos 1 and 2
Bog Colliery Pits Nos 1, 2 and 3
Dykehead Signal Box
Millburn Chemical Works
Millburn Signal Box
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|01/07/1905||Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Larkhall [1st] renamed Larkhall East.