Opened on the Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway).
Coalburn station was opened on a line already open since 1856. Passenger trains had terminated further north at Lesmahgow [1st] until 1891 when the service extended south.
The line ran in the depression of the Coal Burn, the burn itself passing under the north east end of the station.
On opening of the line Coalburn was a very small village, a few cottages to support local mining, and farms. In the vicinity of the level crossing the station opened next to there was almost nothing except the Inn.
The village expanded with houses at both Coalburn, Braehead and Bellfield.
The station opened on the north side of the level crossing. It had a single platform, on the east side of the line, with a station building at the level crossing end and signal box by the crossing on the west side. The Station Hotel opened on the east side of the station.
There was no loop, trains continued south and west to Bankend to run round. There was a goods siding on the south side of the level crossing.
The platform was extended to cross the Coal Burn at the north end, next to Poneil Coal Pit No 1.
The line beyond Coalburn to Bankend closed in 1963. By this time the branch train was a DMU, not needing to run on to Bankend to run round.
With closure in 1965 the line was cut back to Auchlochan Halt (by then closed).
After closure the station building was demolished, the platform survived for some time. The Station Hotel was demolished in 1996.
Across the road the trackbed has been built over with houses. Further landscaping of the station site has reduced the site to a narrow footpath.
Other railway and industry locations
Auchlochan No 1
Poneil Coal Pit No 1
Bellfield Colliery Pit No 4
Auchlochan Nos 6 and 7 Collieries
Bellfield Colliery Pit No 3
Westown Colliery Nos 1 and 2 Pits
Dalquhandy Colliery Pits Nos 1 and 2 and 3
Auchlochan No 2 Colliery
Bankend Colliery Pit No 9
Dalquhandy Colliery Pit No 4
Bankend Colliery Pit No 1
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|