Auchlochan Halt

Location type


Name and dates

Auchlochan Halt (1907-1951)

Opened on the Lesmahagow Railway.


(Alternative closure date of 1957.) This halt served the nearby Auchlochan mines. Auchlochan Signal Box opened in 1891. The nearby Auchlochan Nos 6 and 7 Collieries and Auchlochan Nos 9 and 10 Collieries opened in 1894. The box opened to allow passenger trains to reach Coalburn, prior to its opening this was a goods and minerals only line, passenger trains terminated at Lesmahagow [1st].

The halt's platform was located on the west side of the line north of Auchlochan Signal Box from which it was separated by a level crossing with a minor road between Merchanthall and Glaikhead. The box (1891) was on the east side of the line and controlled access to the Auchlochan mines branch and an interlaced loop.

The loop was installed in 1893. It would not allow trains to pass but did allow catch points on the loop - there was a steep climb from Auchlochan to Coalburn. A similar arrangement existed at Lesmahagow [1st] and Killin Junction.

The box closed in 1965 when the line to Coalburn closed to passengers and was cut back to Auchlochan.

The line closed in 1968 with Auchlochan Nos 6 and 7 Collieries and Auchlochan Nos 9 and 10 Collieries.

The trackbeds still exist, although these are muddy lanes now. The separation between the colliery line and main line is still clear, as are the remains of gateposts. Nothing remains of the platform, box and no hint of the interlaced track.

Auchlochan House itself was around a mile and a half north.


Station halt gauntleted

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67