Lesmahagow [2nd] (1905-1965)
Opened on the Mid Lanark Lines (Caledonian Railway).
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This was a single platform station with a large goods yard. There was land for a loop and second platform. Although a loop was laid (taken out later) the second platform was not built. The platform was on the west side of the line. There was a fine Caledonian style building. The signal box was towards the north end of the platform.
The goods yard was on the west side of the station, approached from the north in a cutting, the station itself was on a curve. To the south was the Lesmahagow Viaduct.
The box closed in 1946, replaced by a ground frame for the goods yard.
The station closed to passengers in 1965. The line closed completely in 1968/69.
The site of the station is now housing and the goods yard is a truck depot. Nothing remains of the station, although the bridge of the B7078 remains.
Other railway and industry locations
Auldton Lime Works
Netherton Lime Works No 3 Pit
Auchenheath Tile Works
Alton Heights Junction
Auchren Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|