This was a fine station. It was an island platform station. The station was to the south of Strathaven. The ticket and parcels office was on Station Road. It was similar to that at Larkhall Central and the remaining building at Hamilton Central. The station was below street level in a shallow cutting. Two bridges from the building crossed the eastbound line to reach the platform - one the passenger entrance and one the parcel and luggage lift. The signal box was centrally placed on the platform and below the passenger entrance footbridge. The station building was to the west, a long typical late Caledonian Railway style with canopies.
Double track started from the east end of the station and ran round either side of the platform out to the west where the goods yard, on the north side, could be reached via a reversing spur.
To the east was the junction between the line north to High Blantyre and Hamilton and the line east to Stonehouse [Lanarkshire]. Both lines were single track and crossed the Powmillon Burn by separate viaducts.
The station replaced Strathaven [Flemington] on extension to meet the new line coming west from Stonehouse [Lanarkshire] and on to Darvel in the west.
The line to Darvel,on which passenger services had ceased in 1939, closed in 1951. The remainder as far as Ryeland had remained open to freight, although largely used for wagon storage. Around this time the station loop was cut back a little at its west end.
The Hamilton route closed to High Blantyre (excluded) in 1953.
The signal box closed in 1963. The line closed as far as Stonehouse [Lanarkshire] (excluded) in 1965.
After final closure the buildings were demolished and the site used for a council rubbish depot. The site is presently vacant (2018) and the platform is still present, in poor condition. The viaducts were demolished on closure. The goods shed survived until recent years.
Meikle Earnock Halt
| Strathaven Viaduct [West]|
Strathaven Viaduct [East]
Strathaven Viaduct [North]
Cot Castle Goods
Stonehouse South Junction
Stonehouse West Junction
Stonehouse East Junction
Cot Castle [Castle]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1896||Mid Lanark Lines (Caledonian Railway)|
Construction of line from Cots Castle (Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)) to Strathaven Central (Hamilton and Strathaven Railway) begins.
|01/07/1905||[[Mid Lanark Lines (Caledonian Railway)|
Cots Castle (Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)) to Strathaven Central (Hamilton and Strathaven Railway) opened.
|04/07/1905||Darvel and Strathaven Railway|
Darvel to Strathaven Central opened (joint operation of the Glasgow and South Western Railway and Caledonian Railway).
|07/12/1964||Mid Lanark Lines (Caledonian Railway)|
Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Strathaven Central to Stonehouse closed to freight.