This was an unusual line, a joint railway operated by the Caledonian Railway (the promoter, as one of the Mid Lanarkshire Lines) and Glasgow and South Western Railway. It linked the G&SWR Darvel branch of 1896 to the CR^s Strathaven Central station. Both Strathaven Central and the Darvel and Strathaven Railway opened in 1904.
The territory was found over by the two companies, resulting in the joint operation as a compromise.
The boundary between the two companies was at County Boundary Junction, between Loudounhill and Drumclog. It was a single track line. Most of the structures were built in concrete.
This line closed in 1939. After several years of use for surplus wagon storage the track was lifted in 1951.
It was well described by G.H. Robin - ^This ten-mile section of line for the most part passed through wild moorland and took in three rural stations.^
|/ /1904||Darvel and Strathaven Railway|
Darvel to County Boundary Junction (east of Loudounhill) authorised to be transferred to the Glasgow and South Western Railway. The Caledonian Railway retains running powers.
|11/09/1939||Darvel and Strathaven Railway|
Darvel (excluded) to Strathaven Central (excluded) closed to all traffic
These locations are along the line.
This was a fine station. It was an island platform station. The station was to the south of Strathaven. The ticket and parcels office was on Station Road. It was similar to that at Larkhall Central and the remaining building at Hamilton Central. The station was below street level in a shallow cutting. Two bridges from the building crossed the eastbound line to reach the platform - one the ...More details
This was an island platform station. There was a goods yard on the west side approached by a reversing spur at the north end of the station. The signal box was north of the station building on the island platform. Access to the platform was by steps down to the platform from the road bridge at south end.
This was an island platform station opened in an area of farmland. Access to the platform was by a ramp bridge at the north east end of the station. The station building was typical of the line and had canopies on all sides. There was a signal box, opened in 1904, north of the station building on the island platform.
This was an island platform station. There was a goods yard on the east side, approached by a reversing spur south of the station. Access to the island platform was by footbridge. The signal box was south of the station building on the platform.
This was a 13 arch viaduct built to carry two tracks (although only the westbound was ever laid). It was built in mass concrete but faced with attractive blue brick.
This is a disused single track three arch viaduct built in blue brick and concrete. It is 162 ft long and 56 ft high.