This is a two platform station with nearby parking and a bus interchange.
This station formerly had four lines, two serving platforms with the other two being centre roads - dating from the 1905/06 reconstruction of the station. There was an overall roof structure, the platforms being covered and lines uncovered.
The centre two lines were lifted in the 1950s. In the 1970s the roof was entirely removed and the eastbound platform and line were moved south, closing the gap between the eastbound and westbound lines. A booking office and waiting room was built on the eastbound platform and a street level building was left to the south on Kemp Street, now given over to other uses. This building is similar to other entrance built by the Caledonian Railway in the early 1900s. It features a tablet with '1906' and 'Caledonian Railway' in large relief letters along the length of the frontage.
There was a goods yard to the north, approached from the west. The site is now a car park and bus station.
The western approach was controlled by Hamilton Central No 1 signal box, lines fanning out eastwards (from north to south) to the goods yard, station and Hamilton Gas Works. The box was replaced in 1905 when the replacement moved westwards to allow for the gas works line and a more generous layout. The box was on the south side of the line where the line changed form quadruple to double doing west.
No 2 box was at the east end, north side of the line where the quadruple track dropped to a double track going eastwards.
The No 2 box closed in 1965 and No1 box became simply Hamilton Central. The latter was replaced by the Motherwell Signalling Centre in 1973.
Today the line east to Haughhead Junction is a single track. There is a sand drag immediately east of the station off the eastbound line just before the line drops to a single track.
The line is promoted and supported by the Rail 74 Community Rail Partnership .
Meikle Earnock Halt
| Hamilton Gasworks|
Barncluith Colliery Signal Box
Hamilton Old Parish Church
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|02/10/1876||Hamilton to Ferniegair (Caledonian Railway)|
Hamilton West to Ferniegair opened to passengers. Station opened at Hamilton Central. Hamilton becomes Hamilton West. (Alternative date 14/07/1876 - although unclear, this may be the Haughead to Ross Jncts curve.)
|28/04/1903||Hamilton to Ferniegair (Caledonian Railway)|
Improvements to Hamilton Central agreed with town council.
|/ /1904||Hamilton to Ferniegair (Caledonian Railway)|
Authorisation to improve Hamilton Central.