This is a two platform station.
It was originally the terminus of the Hamilton Branch from Newton. In its original form it was a single platform station with the passenger platform on the north side of the line and goods facilities (loading banks and goods shed) on the south side of the line. There were turnplates at the buffer end.
The line was later (1876) extended through Hamilton Central to Ross Junction and Ferniegair. This was an end on junction and Hamilton West occupied the same site as the original station but with two platforms and two lines. Hamilton Shed was developed to the west of the station and Townsland Colliery was to the east. These, and the station, were served from the north.
The extension passed under Peacock Cross itself and lines fanned out from Cadzow Junction.
The station remains open.
The line is promoted and supported by the Rail 74 Community Rail Partnership .
Meikle Earnock Halt
Bothwell [North British]
| Townsland Colliery|
Hamilton Engine Sheds Junction
Burnbank Signal Box
Strathaven Junction Yard
Whitehill Wagon Works
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1845||Clydesdale Junction Railway|
Act receives Royal assent. The line was authorised from Glasgow, using the Polloc and Govan Railway to reach Hamilton with a branch to Motherwell [1st], the forks dividing at the later Newton station. The line would bring coal from pits in the Hamilton area, owned by the Dixons amongst others, to the Govan Iron Works.
|17/09/1849||Hamilton Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Hamilton Junction to Hamilton opened. Blantyre opens, an intermediate station. (Originally promoted as the Clydesdale Junction Railway.
|01/12/1866||Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Passenger services start; a connecting bus runs between Hamilton and Ferniegair [1st] for route to Glasgow's South Side (passenger trains not allowed north of Ferniegair until improvements made). Trains runs south from Ferniegair [1st] to Lesmahagow [1st]. Blackwood [1st] slip carriage dropped at Southfield Junction and taken on separately. Stonehouse [Lanarkshire] branch opened to passengers.
|18/07/1872||Hamilton to Ferniegair (Caledonian Railway)|
Hamilton West to Ross Junction (Ferniegair) authorised. Some deviation of the original line at Ferniegair is required.
|29/05/1876||Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Hamilton West to Ross Junction opened to freight.
|29/05/1876||Hamilton to Ferniegair (Caledonian Railway)|
Hamilton West to Ferniegair opened to freight.
|18/09/1876||Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Hamilton West to Ross Junction opened to minerals.
|18/09/1876||Hamilton to Ferniegair (Caledonian Railway)|
Hamilton West to Ferniegair opened to minerals.
|02/10/1876||Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Hamilton West to Ross Junction opened to passengers.
|02/10/1876||Hamilton to Ferniegair (Caledonian Railway)|
Hamilton West to Ferniegair opened to passengers. Station opened at Hamilton Central. Hamilton becomes Hamilton West. (Alternative date 14/07/1876 - although unclear, this may be the Haughead to Ross Jncts curve.)
|01/10/1945||Hamilton and Strathaven Railway|
Strathaven Central to Hamilton West (Strathaven Junction) closed to passengers
|01/10/1951||Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Brocketsbrae to Hamilton (Ferniegair Junction) closed to passengers.
|15/09/1952||Glasgow, Bothwell, Hamilton and Coatbridge Railway|
Hamilton to Peacock Cross (Allanshaw Foundry) closed to all traffic.
|04/10/1965||Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)Mid Lanark Lines (Caledonian Railway)|
Coalburn to Hamilton (Haughhead Junction) closed to passengers.