Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.Opened on the Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway).
This was a single platform station. The station was south of a level crossing. It was a short platform. Opposite, on the east side of the line, was the signal box. It opened in 1891.
To the south of the platform, on the west side, was a goods yard approached from the south, parallel with a passing loop south of the station. There was an engine shed (Brocketsbrae Shed) on the east side, approached from the north.
The line opened in 1856. This was one of the stations (actually the southern terminus) opened in 1866 when a service north to Ferniegair [1st] began. It was briefly named Brocketsbrae, the village it was located in, before being renamed in 1869 to 'Lesmahagow' which was nearly two miles away by road to the west. With the opening of the Mid Lanark Lines (Caledonian Railway) in 1905, and its better sited Lesmahagow [2nd] station, it was renamed back to Brocketsbrae.
The station closed to passengers in 1951. The box and line closed in 1953.
The goods shed survived until the 1970s in a ruinous state.
The station site is now a house. A railway cottage survives, on the west side of the former line and south of the former level crossing. To the south the trackbed has been obliterated for about half a mile by the M74. To the north it remains in walkable, if often flooded, condition.
| Brocketsbrae Shed|
Auldton Lime Works
Alton Heights Junction
Alton Heights Junction Sidings
Auchlochan Nos 9 and 10 Collieries
Netherton Lime Works No 3 Pit
Auchenheath Tile Works
Lintfield Bank Siding
Auchren Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|11/05/1863||Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Caledonian Railway authorised to double Motherwell to Southfield (probably Southfield New Pit) and to run passengers trains to Brocketsbrae, the Stonehouse [Lanarkshire] branch and the Blackwood branch. The Caledonian Railway owns the Lesmahagow lines by this time.
|01/12/1866||Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Ferniegair to Brocketsbrae, Stonehouse [Lanarkshire] branch, Blackwood branch opened to passengers.
|/ /1905||Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Lesmahagow renamed Brocketsbrae.
|11/09/1939||Muirkirk and Lesmahagow Junction RailwayCoalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Douglas West (Poneil Junction) to Brocketsbrae closed to passengers (except a Saturdays only train using Alton Heights to Brocketsbrae until 2nd May 1942).
|02/05/1942||Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Alton Heights to Brocketsbrae closed to passengers.
|01/10/1951||Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Brocketsbrae to Hamilton (Ferniegair Junction) closed to passengers.
|21/09/1953||Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Alton Heights (excluded) to Brocketsbrae via Tillietudlem (Southfield Junction) closed to freight.