This was the junction between the 1873 Muirkirk Branch (Caledonian Railway) and the 1883 Caledonian Railway owned Muirkirk and Lesmahagow Junction Railway.
Both lines were single track, doubling at the junction to form a double track junction with a short loop running to the west. There was a siding on the north side which could be accessed by both lines from the east (probably a reversing spur).
The signal box was on the north side of the junction and opened with the 1883 line.
The Muirkirk and Lesmahagow Junction Railway was built with land prepared for a second track, which was never laid. The line laid would have been the northbound track.
The box could be switched out from 1946. The line to Alton Heights Junction closed around 1954 and the box closed in 1955.
The line remained open to Muirkirk [2nd] until 1964.
The site of the junction is partly intact, much of the former Muirkirk route now being occupied by a road.
| Lintfield Bank Siding|
Bellfield Colliery Pit No 3
Bellfield Colliery Pit No 4
Poniel Coal Pit No 1
Auchlochan No 1 Colliery
Auchlochan Nos 6 and 7 Collieries
Alton Heights Junction Sidings
Auchlochan Nos 9 and 10 Collieries
Douglas Castle Colliery
St Bride's Church Douglas
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|