Muirkirk and Lesmahagow Junction Railway

Introduction

This line is closed.



Dates

  /  /1873Muirkirk and Lesmahagow Junction Railway
Line authorised.
  /  /1880Muirkirk and Lesmahagow Junction Railway
Extension of time to complete works.
02/05/1883Muirkirk and Lesmahagow Junction Railway
Poneil Junction (Muirkirk Branch (Caledonian Railway)) to Alton Heights Junction (Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)) opened to goods and passengers. (Alternative date 02/04/1883.)
11/09/1939Muirkirk and Lesmahagow Junction RailwayCoalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Douglas West (Poneil Junction) to Brocketsbrae closed to passengers (except a Saturdays only train using Alton Heights Junction to Brocketsbrae until 2nd May 1942).
13/09/1954Muirkirk and Lesmahagow Junction Railway
Poneil Junction (excluded) to Alton Heights Junction (excluded) closed to freight.

Locations along the line

These locations are along the line.

This was a four way junction. The location was originally called Auldton Heights.
...

More details

See also
Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Mid Lanark Lines (Caledonian Railway)
View south at Alton Heights Junction in 1996. To the right was the original line running to Coalburn, to the left the line to Poneil Junction. Alton ...
Ewan Crawford //1996
1 of 1 images.


In 1883, with the opening of Alton Heights Junction, a siding was placed on either side of the new route south to Poneil Junction.
...

More details




HR 103+57581 with the RCTS (West Riding Branch) Three Summits Tour from Leeds City, approaching Poniel Junction on 30 June 1963 during the ...
K A Gray 30/06/1963
Poneil Junction looking east in 2004, with the Muirkirk and Lesmahagow Junction Railway branching off to the left and the Caledonian's main Muirkirk ...
Ewan Crawford 24/10/2004
Looking east towards Happendon from above Douglas West. The coal loading point in the centre of the photograph is on the trackbed of the line but ...
Ewan Crawford //
Poniel Junction. CR 4.4.0 54504 eastbound. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 25/07/1953
4 of 5 images. more