This was a two platform station with a passing loop. There was a goods yard on the east side, approached from a reversing spur to the south.
To the north of this station was Douglas Castle Colliery, opened in 1912, around which a small village developed.
The line was opened in 1873 but it took until 1896 before the station and loop opened, providing a closer station than the somewhat distant Douglas station, which was renamed Happendon.
The main station building was on the westbound platform, the site closest to the town. A footbridge, extra sidings and a large goods shed were added after opening and a stationmaster's house added, around 1910. The signal box, on the southbound platform to the south of the main building, opened with the station.
The station, box and line closed in 1964.
The platform mounds and the brick bases of the buildings remain. The stationmaster's house is still a house.
| Douglas Castle Colliery|
Bankend Lime Works
Glespin Signal Box
Bankend Colliery Pit No 13
Hagshaw South Colliery
St Bride's Church Douglas
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|01/10/1896||Muirkirk Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Douglas West station opened on the existing line. This station was better sited for the village than the existing Douglas station.
|11/09/1939||Muirkirk and Lesmahagow Junction RailwayCoalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Douglas West (Poneil Junction) to Brocketsbrae closed to passengers (except a Saturdays only train using Alton Heights Junction to Brocketsbrae until 2nd May 1942).