Opened on the Douglas Branch (Caledonian Railway).
Opened on the Muirkirk Branch (Caledonian Railway).
This was the terminus of the Douglas Branch from Lanark. It remained a terminus until 1873 when the line extended to Muirkirk.
When opened there was no no housing, no town or village at the terminus. Douglas was some 3 miles distant, to the south west. The distance to Douglas Castle was shorter, around 2.5 miles.
A number of mines were served on either side of the railway between Douglas and Poneigh.
When in 1873 the line was extended west it passed closer to Douglas, but it took until 1896 for a station, Douglas West, to be opened to the public. This new was considerably closer to the town at about 1 miles. Despite this the original station remained open.
There were two boxes, both on the south side of the line. One was at the east end off the end of the platform and a second box midway along the westbound platform, this box surviving into the 1960s.
It was named Douglas until 1931 when it was renamed Happendon, which had been a small settlement and bridge less than a mile to the south. A large Second World War prisoner of war camp was located here.
The station two platforms and a through goods line on the north side. There was a small goods yard on the south side, approached from the east.
As initially opened there was, of course, no through line. There was a turntable at the west end. The extension was made 'end on' to the original line. To the west was Poneil Junction where the line to Alton Heights Junction joined the route west in 1888.
The station and line closed in 1964.
The platforms and goods loading bank can still be found, somewhat overgrown, and a number of railway cottages survive in use as houses.
Other railway and industry locations
Lintfield Bank Siding
Rigside Signal Box
Douglasdale Coal Pits
Bellfield Colliery Pit No 3
Alton Heights Junction Sidings
Bellfield Colliery Pit No 4
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|