Silvermuir Junction (1864-1968)
Opened on the Caledonian Railway.
Opened on the Lanark Branch (Caledonian Railway).
This junction was the eastern apex of a triangular junction. Also known as Silvermuir East Junction or Silvermuir Junction East. The other junctions were Cleghorn Junction, to the west, and Silvermuir South Junction, to the south.
The curve opened for the opening of the Douglas Branch (Caledonian Railway) in 1864, an extension of the Lanark branch.
The original signal box was on the north side of the junction.
The box was replaced in 1934, as were all three junction boxes, with a single single box called Lanark Junction. This was set back but within the 'V' of the junction.
The Silvermuir South Junction to Silvermuir Junction curve closed in 1968.
The Lanark Junction box closed in 1973, replaced by the Motherwell Signalling Centre.
Other railway and industry locations
Silvermuir South Junction
Carstairs Sand Pit Signal Box
Caledonian Mineral Oil Works
Cleghorn Terra-Cotta Works
Smyllum East Junction
Carstairs No 1 Signal Box
Smyllum South Junction
Lanark Race Course
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
An Illustrated History of Carlisle's Railways
Caledonian Dunalastairs and Associated Classes (Locomotive Monograph)
Caledonian in LMS Days (Railways in Retrospect)
Caledonian Railway Carriages
Caledonian Railway Livery: The True Line Elegance and Style
Caledonian Railway Wagons & Non-Passenger Coaching Stock
Caledonian Routes 3: Stirling to Crianlarich - DVD - Oakwood Press
Caley to the Coast: Rothesay by Wemyss Bay (Oakwood Library of Railway History)
Callander & Oban Railway Through Time
Callander and Oban Railway (Library of Railway History)
Signalling the Caledonian Railway
The Caledonian Railway 'jumbos' the 18in. X 26in. 0-6-0s
The Caledonian, Scotland's Imperial Railway: A History
The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)
Through Scotland with the Caledonian Railway
Vanished Railways of West Lothian