This line is open to Passenger traffic and some goods traffic. The line is also known as the Hamilton Circle.
The original line ran from Newton to Hamilton West. An extension was built to Ferniegair and Motherwell and Hamilton renamed Hamilton West.
The line is promoted and supported by the Rail 74 Community Rail Partnership .
|17/09/1849||Hamilton Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Newton to Hamilton opened.
|18/07/1872||Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Hamilton Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Hamilton West to Ross Junction (Ferniegair) authorised.
|29/05/1876||Hamilton Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Hamilton West to Ferniegair opened to freight.
|18/09/1876||Hamilton Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Hamilton West to Ferniegair opened to minerals.
|02/10/1876||Hamilton Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Hamilton West to Ferniegair opened to passengers.
|11/02/1963||Glasgow, Bothwell Hamilton and Coatbridge Railway|
Allanshaw Foundry to Blantyre Junction (junction with Hamilton Branch (Caledonian Railway)) closed to freight.
These locations are along the line.
This was the junction between the former Clydesdale Junction Railway and the Glasgow Central Railway to the immediate west of Newton station. To the immediate west of the junction the former Clydesdale Junction Railway and Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway part and run a short distance west before diverging. ...More details
This is a two platform station. The location was formerly a four platform station, the two northern tracks no longer have platforms and allow non-stop trains to bypass the station.
This is a two platform station. It was opened on the Hamilton branch of the Caledonian Railway. There is a station building on the Glasgow bound platform and a car park.
This junction was directly south of Blantyre station. It was between the 1849 Hamilton Branch (Caledonian Railway) and a curve opened in 1882 to allow coal trains from the 1860 Hamilton and Strathaven Railway direct access to Glasgow without reversal at Strathaven Junction. The far end of the curve was at Auchinraith Junction (also spelled Auchenraith).
This was not a junction in the strictest sense of two lines meeting, but the northern end of the large Strathaven Junction Yard.
In 1860 the first part of the Hamilton and Strathaven Railway opened, climbing from the 1849 Hamilton Branch (Caledonian Railway) to the higher ground to the west at High Blantyre and then turn south, ultimately reaching Strathaven [Flemington]. In particular this line would, for its northern portion between Hamilton and Quarter, serve many collieries en route.
This is a two platform station.