Blantyre Junction [CR] (1882-1958)
Opened on the Hamilton and Strathaven Railway.
Opened on the Hamilton Branch (Caledonian Railway).
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This junction was directly south of Blantyre station. It was between the 1849 Hamilton Branch (Caledonian Railway) and a curve opened in 1882 to allow coal trains from the 1860 Hamilton and Strathaven Railway direct access to Glasgow without reversal at Strathaven Junction. The far end of the curve was at Auchinraith Junction (also spelled Auchenraith).
The original lines and new curve were all double track. It was a long curve which ran parallel with the Hamilton line for some way to gain height before turning away to the south west. The curve had catch points on the southbound line at the point where it bore away from the Hamilton line. The Hamilton line had a loop on its northbound side between Craighead Junction and Blantyre Junction.
The signal box was on the west side and opened with the curve.
The box also controlled access to Blantyre Foundry for which a siding ran south from the junction before turning into the works. To the north was access to the goods yard of Blantyre station, on the east side of the line.
The curve fell out of use in 1953 but was not closed until 1958. The box, remained open until 1973 when it was replaced by the Motherwell Signalling Centre.
Bothwell [North British]
Bothwell Park Halt
Calderwood Glen Platform
Other railway and industry locations
Craighead Signal Box
Craighead Colliery Pits Nos 1 and 2
Craighead BP Chemicals Siding
Bothwell Castle Colliery Signal Box
Whistleberry Colliery Pits Nos 1 and 2
Auchinraith Colliery Pits Nos 1 and 2
Auchinraith Junction [NBR]
Blantyre Junction [NBR]
Bothwell Castle Colliery Pits Nos 1 and 2
C W Ireland Works
Blantyre No 4 Pit Box
David Livingstone Centre
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|