This is a two platform station. It was opened on the Hamilton branch of the Caledonian Railway. There is a station building on the Glasgow bound platform and a car park.
The station formerly had two Caledonian Railway style station buildings, heavily canopied.
To the south east of the station was Blantyre Junction [CR], the start of a curve to Auchinraith Junction on the Hamilton and Strathaven Railway. To accommodate this curve the original course of the Hamilton line south east of the station was used, the newer curve occupying its site. Opening of the curve allowed direct running on the Strathaven line, where before reversal was needed near Hamilton West. With the progressive closure of the Strathaven line the curve closed in 1958.
The line is promoted and supported by the Rail 74 Community Rail Partnership .
Bothwell [North British]
Bothwell Park Halt
Calderwood Glen Platform
| Blantyre Junction [CR]|
Bothwell Castle Colliery Signal Box
Craighead Signal Box
Craighead Colliery Pits Nos 1 and 2
Craighead Yard [Loaded]
Bothwell Castle Colliery Pits Nos 3 and 4
Craighead BP Chemicals Siding
Auchinraith Colliery Pits Nos 1 and 2
Bothwell Castle Colliery Pits Nos 1 and 2
Blantyre No 4 Pit Box
Whistleberry Colliery Pits Nos 1 and 2
David Livingstone Centre
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1847||Hamilton Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Authorisation of a branch from Blantyre to Douglas/Weston. The branch was not built.
|/ /1847||Lesmahagow Railway|
'Lesmahagow Branches' line authorised from Blantyre, on the Clydesdale Junction Railway, to Weston (Lesmahagow), Canderside to Strathaven, Forkins to Bankend, and Forkins to Fauldhouse.
|17/09/1849||Hamilton Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Hamilton Junction to Hamilton opened. Blantyre opens, an intermediate station. Originally promoted as the Clydesdale Junction Railway.
|/ /1866||Blantyre to East Kilbride Line (Caledonian Railway)|
Authorisation to extend the line from East Kilbride to Blantyre.
|/ /1878||Hamilton Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Authorisation to build the Blantyre West Curve and deviate the Hamilton branch to the north east of its original alignment between Blantyre station and Craighead Junction. This accommodated the Blantyre West Curve - Blantyre Junction [CR] on the Hamilton Branch (Caledonian Railway) to Auchinraith Junction on the Hamilton and Strathaven Railway curve. This was first authorised in 1872 and opened in 1882. The curve at either end of the deviation remains today.
|01/03/1885||Blantyre to East Kilbride Line (Caledonian Railway)|
Line between Blantyre and East Kilbride is opened to passengers. (Alternative date in 1888.)
|01/07/1888||Blantyre to East Kilbride Line (Caledonian Railway)|
Line between Blantyre and East Kilbride is opened to passengers. (Alternative date in 1885.)