Newton Kirkhill Junction

Location type

Junction

Name and dates

Newton Kirkhill Junction (1904-)

Opened on the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway.
Opened on the Hamilton Branch (Caledonian Railway).

Description

To the immediate west of Newton the former Clydesdale Junction Railway and Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway part and run a short distance west before diverging.

The junction was converted into a single lead junction (the Kirkhill line reducing to a single track before the junction) which was to lead to the Newton Rail Crash.

The junction has since been converted back into a double line junction.

The junction used to be considered part of Newton West Junction. There have been many alterations to names and layout over the years.

Tags

Junction

Books


Forgotten Railways: Scotland