Newton West Junction is to the west of Newton station. It is where lines divide into the bypass lines, to the north, and platform lines, to the south. The platform lines are joined by the line from Kirkhill, to the south west, as they approach the station. This location is called Newton Kirkhill Junction although it used to come under Newton West Junction.
This junction opened in 1871 to serve the Hallside Steel Works. This works was on the south side of the railway and served from the west. A signal box opened with the junction.
The original Newton [1st] station was further east at Newton village, it was closed and replaced with the present Newton station in 1873 to serve the expanding steel works. The present two platforms of Newton station are the original platforms.
The steel works sidings were approached from the west but were built on the south side of a goods loop on the south side of the station which joined the 1849 Hamilton Branch (Caledonian Railway) east of the station.
Just to the west a mineral loop, on the north side, ran west to serve Westburn Colliery, the far end of the loop being at Gateside Signal Box.
Also just to the west, but on the south side, were two mineral lines. The further west ran south to the Clyde Nail Works and Gilbertfield Colliery and Brick Works. This joined at a loop, the east end of which was at Newton and west end at Gateside Signal Box. It was a trailing connection. The second mineral line, also with a trailing connection, ran south to Dechmont Colliery.
The signal box was replaced in 1893 in advance of the opening of the opening of the Glasgow Central Railway. This new line was approached from the east and ran north to join the Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway and Carmyle station. It continued west to pass under Glasgow and Glasgow Central station. The Newton to Carmyle length provided an approach to the Clyde Iron Works from the east. The Glasgow Central Railway opened in 1896. The box was in the 'V' of the junction.
With its opening an additional two platforms and a goods bypass were added to the north of the existing platforms in 1901. The signal box was again replaced for this, on a similar site. At some point, perhaps 1901, the box was renamed Newton Steelworks Junction. The additional platforms were opened in anticpation of the 1904 opening of the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway of which this was the eastern end. (The point where the new line met the existing lines is today termed Newton Kirkhill Junction.)
The signal box closed in 1960 when it was replaced by the new power box at Newton.
The two northern platforms were removed and these are now the fast lines for bypassing the station.
Mount Vernon North
| Clyde Nail Works|
Newton Kirkhill Junction
Westburn Souh Signal Box
Westburn Steel Works
Hallside Steel Works
Newton PW Depot
Newton Hamilton Junction
Newton East Junction
Newton Colliery Pit No 2
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|