Blackwood [1st]

Location type


Name and dates

Blackwood [1st] (1866-1905)

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.

Opened on the Lesmahagow Railway.


This station was the terminus of a branch from Southfield Junction. Tram roads served the area, from 1856, before the branch fully opened from Southfield Old Pit to Blackwood in 1862.

Blackwood was very small before the railway arrived, it developed as a village after its arrival.

The station had a long main platform, on the east side of a terminal loop, and a short siding on the loop's west side. The station building was on the long platform. To the west of this were carriage sidings and a goods yard. The station was approached from the north. On the east side of the station, at the north end, was a turntable. The branch to Blackwood was double track. The signal box was on the west side of the line at the station throat.

A goods only line of 1894 sidestepped the line on the east side. This had a loop on the east side of the station and continued south to Dunduff Quarry.

A signal box at Southfield No 15 Signal Box closed in 1902, this had split the double track section between Blackwood and Southfield Junction.

With the opening of the Mid Lanark Lines (Caledonian Railway) in 1905 a new junction was opened to the north of the terminus. The signal box was replaced with a new box at the junction. Going north a new line to Stonehouse [Lanarkshire] opened to the north west and going south a new line to Lesmahagow [2nd] opened. The latter line had a new Blackwood [2nd] station which replaced the terminus. The terminus became a goods only station with the platforms being used as carriage sidings.

The Dunduff Quarry branch closed in 1920. The line to Southfield Junction closed in 1959. Blackwood goods yard and old station closed in 1961. Final closure came in 1968.

The site of the terminus is now Blackwood Primary School.



External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67