Motherwell [1st] (1843-1849)
Opened on the Wishaw and Coltness Railway.
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
The first, and short lived, station in Motherwell was on the Wishaw and Coltness Railway close to Merry Street, on a section of line now closed which was to the north of the present main line alignment.
The line was in a cutting and facilities were probably very minimal. First use, for an excursion, was in 1842.
The station was replaced with the opening of Motherwell [2nd] (or Motherwell Junction) which was slightly to the east at the junction between the 1849 Clydesdale Junction Railway and Wishaw and Coltness Railway.
The present Motherwell station is to the west.
Little remains to be seen at the station site. There is a strip of grass on the east side of Pollock Street and lower lying ground which roughly equate to the former cutting. To the east Brandon Parade Car Park occupies the line's location.
Other railway and industry locations
Motherwell North Signal Box
Hamilton Road Signal Box
Motherwell South Signal Box
Motherwell Colliery No 3 Watsonville Colliery
Motherwell Signalling Centre
Parkneuk Colliery No 1 and 2
Motherwell Parkneuk Steelworks
Dalzell Steel Works
Motherwell Workshops Signal Box
Motherwell Malleable Iron Works
Dalzell Malleable Iron Works
Park Street Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Old Newmains and the Villages Around Wishaw
Wishaw 1896: Lanarkshire Sheet 18.03 (Old O.S. Maps of Lanarkshire)