Motherwell Junction

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Motherwell Junction (1845-1885)

Opened on the Wishaw and Coltness Railway.

Opened on the Clydesdale Junction Railway.


Description

This station was located on the Wishaw and Coltness Railway where it was met by the Clydesdale Junction Railway. The station was just east of the junction.

The station was replaced by Motherwell, to the west, which was close to Lesmahagow Junction - the opening of the Motherwell Deviation Line (Caledonian Railway) giving it an exit to the north towards Coatbridge Central. With that opening the newer station would later replace the older one.

The main station building (and some platforms) remained for many years afterwards. The main part bore some resemblance to the building at the second (and present) Uddingston station, although it predated it. There was a signal box at the station.

During the station's existence there were colliery lines north of the station which were reached by a reversing spur west of the station. Dalzell Malleable Iron Works opened to the north in 1872 and Dalzell Steel Works in 1880. The west end of the Dalzell site was served by the same reversing spur, this line to the works using Park Street Level Crossing.

The station closed in 1885 and the box closed in 1889 by which time the original Wishaw and Coltness Railway was no longer a through route but merely a siding.

The site of the station is crossed by the A721 which crosses over the railway on an oblique. The site is the west end of a southbound loop on the north side of the main line from which the Dalzell Steel Works sidings lead (the far end of the loop is at the site of the former Flemington station). A footbridge still crosses the line at what was its east end. The main line, and loop, are electrified.

03/08/2019

Tags

Station Junction

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map