Coatbridge Central

Location type

Station


Names and dates

Coatbridge [CR] (1843-1953)
Coatbridge Central (1953-)

Opened on the Whifflet Extension (Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway).

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.


Description

This is a three platform station located immediately north of Coatbridge Junction. The southbound platform is an island.

The south end of the station is partly on a bridge, (formerly crossing the Monkland Canal).

To the north of the station was a direct link into the Summerlee Iron Works - a better connection than that from the Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway which required a reversal to reach the same spot.

The present layout dates from a cut back version of the 1899 reconstruction of the station. The bridge to the south was rebuilt allowing the platform to be extended south onto the bridge and increased the length of the loop on the east side. The northbound platform was extended northwards and sidings in the west side goods yard modified. This was a four platform station, there was a bay at the north end of the northbound platform. A new large signal box was provided.

A Caledonian Railway building, dating from the reconstruction of the station, remains on the east side of the station, now in other uses. The building has been used as a pub or restaurant on a number of occasions and has also regularly been derelict. It no longer features its street level entrance canopy. No platform level buildings survive. These were similar to those at Gleneagles and Eglinton Street. The large canopies were braced across the centre tracks. The signal box closed in 1973.

Local

Summerlee Museum of Scottish Industrial Life is not far from the station.

06/07/2019

Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map