This junction is east of Rutherglen. It is the junction between the main line to the south out of Glasgow Central and the line east to Coatbridge Central and Whifflet.
The west end of the 1865 Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway joined the 1849 Clydesdale Junction Railway here.
Both lines were double track, but further lines were laid to make this a complicated junction.
By the 1890s the Coatbridge route had a loop on either side of the line, the eastbound loop continuing west of the junction to be the eastbound slow line to the west, serving the nearby Rutherglen Goods. The westbound loop ceased at the junction. The main line had a goods line on its south side which ran to Cambusland Goods. West of the junction there was a westbound slow line.
The signal box was on the north side.
The junction was rebuilt in 1906. In particular a new approach to, and yard for, the Clydebridge Steel Works to the east was added. This was on the north side of the Coatbridge route. Further lines were added and there were signal bridges to the west of the junction. The signal box was replaced with another on a similar site.
The signal box was closed in 1973, replaced by Glasgow Central Power Box. This was in preparation for electrification.
Around this time the junction was renamed 'Rutherglen East Junction'.
The Clydebridge Steel Works sidings were greatly reduced by 1990, around which time these were removed having not been used for some time.
Both lines are now electrified. Going east from the junction both lines are double track. Rutherglen Goods is now Rutherglen Permanent Way Depot. Going west there are four lines.
| Coal Pit|
Rutherglen Permanent Way Depot
Clydebridge Steel Works
Clydebridge Steel Works Junction
Rutherglen Central Junction
Clyde Patent Wire Rope Works
Clyde Iron No 1 Group Sidings
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1872||Clydesdale Junction Railway|
Authorisation to widen the line between Gushetfaulds Junction and Rutherglen Junction. The line was increased from double track to at least quadruple track between the junctions.
|/ /1880||Clydesdale Junction Railway|
Power to widen the line between Rutherglen Junction and Cambuslang granted to the Caledonian Railway. An additional line, northbound slow, would be added.
|07/11/1966||Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway (Caledonian Railway)|
Coatbridge Central to Rutherglen East Junction closed to passengers (alternative date).
|01/05/1972||Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway (Caledoniand Railway)|
Coatbridge Central to Rutherglen Junction re-opened for Glasgow Central to Perth workings
|04/05/1974||Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway (Caledoniand Railway)|
Coatbridge Central to Rutherglen Junction ceases to be used for Glasgow Central to Perth workings.
|05/11/1979||Glasgow Central Railway|
The Argyle Line; Stobcross to Strathclyde Junction and Rutherglen Junction re-opened to passengers. Stations at; Finnieston [2nd], Anderston, Glasgow Central Low Level, Argyle Street, Dalmarnock and Rutherglen.
|04/10/1993||Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway|
Local passenger service established between Glasgow (Rutherglen East Junction) and Whifflet. Trains interconnect with services to Motherwell and Coatbridge Central. 'Heritage' Diesel Multiple Units were used.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways