This is a partly underground two platform station. It is a re-opened station which opened with the Argyle Line. The south east end of the station is exposed but in a deep stone lined cutting and the north west end is in the Dalmarnock Road Tunnel. There are heavy concrete cross-braces over the line to support the cutting walls.
The station replaced Bridgeton [1st], jut to the east on the high level line.
The station has a street level ticket office. It was revamped for the Commonwealth Games held in Glasgow in 2014, in preparation for which much of the neighbouring high level line was obliterated for road improvements and venue sites.
The station was overshadowed by the high level line and also a branch to the Dalmarnock Gas Works which crossed over the station on a bridge.
In the original, pre-closure state, the exposed part of the platforms were canopied. There was a signal box here between 1895 and 1956, replaced in a resignalling of the line.
To the south the line crosses the River Clyde to reach Rutherglen North Junction.
This is probably the closest station to the Parkhead Stadium , but it is not close, the stadium is around 2/3 of a mile to the north east.
London Road [Glasgow]
| Dalmarnock Gas Works|
Bridgeton Gas Works
London Road Junction [Glasgow]
Dalmarnock Iron Works
Dalmarnock Road Tunnel
Dalmarnock Power Station
Strathclyde Paper Works
Dalmarnock Iron Works Siding
Clyde Viaduct [Rutherglen] [1st]
Clyde Viaduct [Rutherglen]
Bridgeton Bank Yard
London Road Tunnel
Clydebridge Junction [Rutherglen]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|01/04/1879||The Switchback (Caledonian Railway)|
London Road opened for passengers. Stations at; Rutherglen, Dalmarnock and London Road.
|05/11/1979||Glasgow Central Railway|
The Argyle Line; Stobcross to Strathclyde Junction and Rutherglen Junction re-opened to passengers. Stations at; Finnieston [2nd] , Anderston, Glasgow Central Low Level, Argyle Street, Dalmarnock and Rutherglen.