Glasgow Green (1895-1952)
Opened on the Glasgow Central Railway.
This was a two platform station located in a dressed stone lined cutting. There was a surface level building at the west end, above the line, on Binnie Place. Lettering above the double doors of the entrance read 'Glasgow Green Station'. The station had no goods sidings.
The station was on the east side of Glasgow Green itself. To the south of the station was the Templeton Carpet Factory, with Venetian inspired styling.
After closure of the station the line survived until 1964. The fascade of the station entrance was retained. The station did not re-open in 1979 as part of the Argyle Line. The locations of the platforms can be seen from above.
The fascade, complete with lettering, survived intact until 2012 when extremely disappointingly Network Rail demolished it, citing safety. This landmark had contrasted well with the neighbouring former factory building.
Main Street Gorbals
Glasgow St Enoch
Other railway and industry locations
Templeton Carpet Factory
Canning Street Tunnel
Bridgeton Central Tunnel
Bridgeton Cross Tunnel
Barracks Mineral Yard
Gallowgate Central Junction Bridgeton Cross South Junction
Barrack Street Tunnel
St Johns Junction
High Street Junction
The People^s Palace
Glasgow Green [Park]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|