This is a two platform station, and was built as a three platform station. The station has canopied platforms and station buildings similar to those which existed at Eglinton Street and Carstairs stations. It is a fine example of a superior Caledonian Railway station. The design was by James Miller. Not only did the station serve the surrounding area but also, from 1924, the railway built Gleneagles Hotel.
It replaced Gleneagles [1st] station in roughly the same location. A new approach on an 'S' bend was laid in to the north, leading to the Crieff [2nd] branch. The old approach became sidings. The signal box was replaced in 1892 and 1920, latterly with a new box at the north end of the island platform.
The Crieff [2nd] and Comrie branch was to remain open to until 1964. The junction station survived this closure although its signal box was to close in 1966.
Entry to the station has been modified in recent years. It was originally via a stone station building, a ticket office, on the west side of the station. A lattice footbridge ran from this to the platforms with steps descending to the canopied platforms.
After closure of the branch the trackbed became the station's car park. The original entry became a private house. The building has been extended and entrance canopy cut back.
During a more recent rebuilding the very dangerous approach to the station from the A9 was replaced by a new road approaching from the west and dropping down to trackbed level alongside the west side of the station. The footbridge between the ticket office and northbound platform has been removed but the footbridge between the two platforms remains.
To the north of the station is Gleneagles Hotel (Gleneagles Hotel, Golf Course and Spa ) originally conceived by the Caledonian Railway, the rebuilt station being part of an overall plan to develop a resort. A fine wide road ran between station entrance and hotel and a goods only siding served the hotel from the Crieff branch.
South of Gleneagles is the summit of the line at Gleneagles Summit.
The line between Stirling and Perth is supported and promoted by the Strathallan Community Rail Partnership.
| Gleneagles Tip|
Kincardine Glen Viaduct
Whitemoss Level Crossing
Earn Viaduct [Strageath]
Blackford Old Parish Church
Ardunie Roman Signal Station
Ardoch Roman Fort
Muthill Old Church and Tower
St Serf's Church and Duplin Stone
Muir O'Fauld Roman Signal Station
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Tayside's Railways
Branch Lines of Strathearn: Tourists, Tatties and Trains
Scottish Central Railway (Oakwood Library of Railway History)