Gleneagles [1st]

Location type


Names and dates

Crieff Junction (1856-1912)
Gleneagles [1st] (1912-1919)

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.

Opened on the Scottish Central Railway.
Opened on the Crieff Junction Railway.
Opened on the Gleneagles Station and Gleneagles Hotel Branch (Caledonian Railway).


This was a four platform station with two platforms on the main line and two on the branch to Crieff [1st]. It ws replaced by the present Gleneagles station. The main station building was on the northbound main line platform and had canopies. there was a building on the southbound main line platform and small shelter on the northbound branch platform.

The branch doubled at the north end of the station to meet the main line at a double track junction at the south end. There was a small goods yard on the branch to the north of the platforms and a goods loop from the northbound branch platform to the northbound main line. Because of this loop access to the main station building from the station road to the north was by footbridge. A railway cottage was built in the 'V' of the junction (which survives to this day).

The signal box was just to the north of the main station building, on the northbound mainline platform. The box was replaced in 1892.

The station was renamed Gleneagles in 1912, in advance of the opening of the Gleneagles Hotel.

Reconstruction began in 1919 and the station was to be modified considerably, to become the Gleneagles station which still stands today. The new station was built at the same location. Work on the new platforms could be seen from the existing station as it commenced. The approach to the branch was rebuilt (the old approach becoming the goods yard) and much larger station buildings were erected. Concrete was used in the re-construction.

The Crieff and Glendevon Railway was suggested to take a line from Gleneagles station to Crook of Devon, but its promotion was unsuccessful. Glen Eagles itself, through which the line would have run, is to the south of the south.


Station junction

Nearby stations
Strageath Halt
Pittenzie Halt
Crieff [2nd]
Gleneagles Summit
Gleneagles Tip
Kincardine Glen Viaduct
Blackford Mail Apparatus
Highland Spring
Machany Water Viaduct
Maggie Wall Monument
Gleneagles Hotel
Blackford Old Parish Church
Tullibardine Chapel
Strathallan Castle
Strathallan Airfield
Whitemoss Level Crossing
Innerpeffray Chapel
Ardoch Roman Fort
Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.

Chronology Dates

16/03/1856Crieff Junction Railway
Line opened from Crieff Junction to Crieff [1st]. Stations opened at Crieff Junction, Tullibardine, Muthill, Highlandman and Crieff [1st].


A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)

A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)

An Illustrated History of Tayside's Railways

Bradshaw's Guides Scotlands Railways West Coast - Carlisle to Inverness: 5

Branch Lines of Strathearn: Tourists, Tatties and Trains

Branch Lines of Strathearn: Tourists, Tatties and Trains

Forgotten Railways: Scotland

Scotland’s Lost Branch Lines: Where Beeching Got It Wrong

Scottish Central Railway (Oakwood Library of Railway History)

Scottish Central Railway (Oakwood Library of Railway History)