This is an island platform station on the western junction of the triangular junction at Carstairs. There is a modern station building on the platform which is approached by a footbridge over the Glasgow bound lines.
The station has been rebuilt a number of times, notably around 1913 and 2000.
During the 1913/14 reconstruction the large trainshed which covered the platform was removed. This had brick sidewalls and a large timber roof over the station buildings. The station buildings below the roof were not removed but given a new roof and platform canopies. The two storey part of this building had stood outside the trainshed at the west end of the station, towered over by the large trainshed. The trainshed's roof was partly glazed - with two long sections above each platform.
The original building was described in the Ordnance Survey Name Book thus
This is one of the most important railway stations in the Country as through it daily pass not only the traffic between Edinburgh & Glasgow but the greater part of the traffic between the manufacturing districts of Scotland and England, it contains extensive accommodation for the workmen employed, machinery for the repair of steam engines, also extensive refreshment rooms and all the usual adjuncts of a first class station. The station and surrounding houses are well lit with gas, the main building consists of brick walls and a glass roof which when illuminated at night has a brilliant effect.
Carstairs North Signal Box was at the west end of the station, on the north side of the line and Carstairs South was in the 'V' of the junction at the east end. The small south box was probably replaced by Carstairs Platform box, built immediately to the east of the trainshed around 1900, possibly both coexisted briefly.
In 1902 the north box became box no 2. A box on the same footprint as the 1900 box became no 3.
No 2 box was replaced in 1915 and as the appearance of no 3 differs before and after the rebuilding of 1913/4 it is likely to have been rebuilt around 1915 too.
Boxes 1, 2 3, Dolphinton Junction, Strawfrank Junction, Symington Junction (at Symington [2nd]) and Leggatfoot Signal Box were replaced by a short lived panel box at the station in 1972 before control passed to the Motherwell Signalling Centre in 1973.
It was for electrification the boxes were replaced. Additionally the track level was raised and modified to allow fast non-stop running from Glasgow to Carlisle, leading to the station building being at a sunken level in relation to the rebuilt platform. The east end of the platform was cut back leading to a wedge shaped platform, a complication arising from the modified Glasgow line and its connection to the route to Edinburgh.
The more recent reconstruction included demolition of the original station building and replacement with a smaller building. The platform has been extended at its west end.
To the north of the station was Carstairs Shed, which provided engines for trains from the south splitting here into Glasgow and Edinburgh portions, bankers and local passenger and goods needs.
The station is in the small village of Carstairs Station which is south east of Carstairs itself. An electric tramway, Carstairs House Tramway, ran south west to Carstairs House, opened in 1888 and closed after 1895.
Pool Colliery Pit No 3
| Carstairs Shed|
Carstairs East Junction
Carstairs South Junction
Carstairs No 1 Signal Box
Carstairs Sand Pit Signal Box
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1853||Edinburgh Station and Branches (Caledonian Railway)|
Slateford to a bay platform by the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway's Haymarket station opened. Trains could run from the bay to Carstairs or Falkirk.
|01/03/1867||Dolphinton Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Carstairs to Dolphinton [CR] opened.
|04/06/1945||Dolphinton Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Dolphinton [CR] to Carstairs (Dolphinton Junction) closed to passengers.
|01/11/1950||Dolphinton Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Dolphinton [CR] to Carstairs (Dolphinton Junction) closed to freight.
An Illustrated History of Carlisle's Railways
Caledonian Dunalastairs and Associated Classes (Locomotive Monograph)
Caledonian in LMS Days (Railways in Retrospect)
Caledonian Railway Carriages
Caledonian Railway Livery: The True Line Elegance and Style
Caledonian Railway Wagons & Non-Passenger Coaching Stock
Caledonian Routes 3: Stirling to Crianlarich - DVD - Oakwood Press
Caley to the Coast: Rothesay by Wemyss Bay (Oakwood Library of Railway History)
Callander & Oban Railway Through Time
Callander and Oban Railway (Library of Railway History)
Signalling the Caledonian Railway
The Caledonian Railway 'jumbos' the 18in. X 26in. 0-6-0s
The Caledonian, Scotland's Imperial Railway: A History
The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)
Through Scotland with the Caledonian Railway
Vanished Railways of West Lothian