Haymarket

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Haymarket (1842-)

Opened on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway.

Open on the Fife Circle.
Open on the Edinburgh to Perth.
Open on the Edinburgh to Dundee.
Open on the Edinburgh to Glasgow via Shotts.
Open on the Edinburgh to Glasgow via Bathgate and Airdrie.


Description

This is a five platform station in the west of Edinburgh where the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway and Caledonian Railway divide.

The station was the 1842 eastern terminus of the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway before extension by tunnel and through Princes Street Gardens Cutting to Edinburgh Waverley in 1846. (Haymarket Tunnels)

A second tunnel opened to the south of the original in 1892 as part of the general improvements and quadrupling of the line following the opening of the Forth Bridge in 1890. The two additional tracks are now platforms 3 and 4.

The train-shed from here was removed to Bo'ness when that station was opened on the Bo'ness and Kinneil Railway (preserved) (formerly the Slamannan Railway).


Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67