Cadder Yard

Location type

Sidings

Name and dates

Cadder Yard (1901-1980)

Opened on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway.

Description

This was a large marshalling yard on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway built by the North British Railway. It was hump shunted. The northern part of the yard was looped and the southern part was originally a set of dead end sidings shunted from the west but later looped.

The principal use of the yard was to serve the goods yards at High Street Goods and Sighthill Goods allowing marshalling of trains from various locations surrounding Glasgow and only tripping to those yard the portions of trains which needed to travel there. Prior to its opening marshalling of trains was handled at the goods yard themselves leading to congestion. Later, in BR days, the yard also served College Goods.

The yard was modified by the BR 1950s modernisation plan but really just continued in its existing role.

A small part of the yard, really just loop on either side of the line and a few sidings, remain here. The yard closed in 1980 at the time when the major goods stations in Glasgow closed.

At the west end was the Bishopbriggs Oil Siding, partly built on the cut back remains of a colliery line which ran as far west as the Wilderness Plantation and crossed the Forth and Clyde Canal.

At the east end was a colliery line running south east, re-routed to suit the opening of the yard.

Tags

Sidings marshalling yard

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map
07/11/2019




Dates

  /10/1901Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway
New Cadder Yard, hump shunted, opened by the North British Railway.

Books


A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)

An Illustrated History of Edinburgh's Railways

An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways

An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways

Central Glasgow 1893: Lanarkshire Sheet 6.10a (Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Lanarkshire)

Edinburgh ( Western New Town) 1877: Edinburgh Large Scale Sheet 34 (Old Ordnance Survey Maps - Yard to the Mile)

Edinburgh (Rail Centres)

Edinburgh (Rail Centres)
Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway Guidebook (Auld Kirk Museum Publications)
Edinburgh To Inverkeithing.: including The Port Edgar, North Queensferry And Rosyth Dockyard Branches. (Scottish Main Lines.)

Edinburgh Waverley

Edinburgh Waverley Station Through Time
Edinburgh's Transport: The Early Years v. 1
Glasgow Stations

Glasgow's Last Days of Steam

Haymarket Motive Power Depot Edinburgh: A History of the Depot, Its Work and Locomotives, 1842-2010

Landranger (66) Edinburgh, Penicuik & North Berwick (OS Landranger Map)

Last Trains: Edinburgh and South East Scotland v. 1

Memories of Steam from Glasgow to Aberdeen

Memories of Steam from Glasgow to Aberdeen

On Either Side, 1939: The Train between London King's Cross & Edinburgh Waverley, Fort William, Inverness & Aberdeen (Old House)

Rails Around Glasgow

The Next Stop: Inverness to Edinburgh, station by station

This Magnificent Line (the story of the Edinburgh-Glasgow Railway

Vanished Railways of West Lothian