This large goods yard was the Glasgow and South Western Railway's main goods yard in Glasgow. The site was approached from a loop off the City of Glasgow Union Railway immediately west of High Street Junction. Approach was from the east so trains from the central Glasgow direction, from which most trains would approach, would reverse into the various sidings.
On the south side of the site was the bonded warehousing. This building, six storeys high, on Bell Street (105-169) still stands. The building has been converted into flats. The ground floor level stonework is a screen up the east side of High Street.
Complete closure was between 1962 and 1968 when the northern end closed.
On the south side of Bell Street, aligned a little to the east, is the former stable block. This is a red brick building three storeys high, now also converted into housing. The building backs onto a courtyard and the former site of Gallowgate station. The stable block is newer than the goods station, dating from around 1900.
To the north was the College [1st] terminus of the North British Railway, High Street station (its replacement) and High Street Goods.
Glasgow Queen Street Low Level
Glasgow Queen Street High Level
Glasgow St Enoch
Buchanan Street [Subway]
St Enoch [Subway]
| Bridgeton Central Junction|
High Street Goods
St Johns Junction
College Goods Signal Box [GSWR]
Barrack Street Tunnel
College North Junction
High Street Tunnel
High Street Goods Signal Box
St Enoch Locomotive Depot
Barracks Mineral Yard
High Street Junction
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
This is the last remaining large scale warehouse building in Glasgow.
Across Bell Street is the former stable block.
|/ /1883||City of Glasgow Union Railway|
Warehouses, part of College Goods, built on the junction of Bell Street and High Street for the Glasgow and South Western Railway. Approach was via a reversing loop built on the line from Gallowgate to High Street East Junction.
|/ /1984||City of Glasgow Union Railway|
Dis-used warehouses at Bell Street College Goods start to be converted into flats.