This was a two platform station on a raised section of line. The line remains open.
The station opened in 1870 as a terminus for the Glasgow and Coatbridge Branch (North British Railway) while the College [1st] terminus station was completed.
The southern platform, for trains running towards Saltmarket Junction, was removed to allow a reversing spur to be laid for the sidings opposite College Goods. To facilitate this an additional bridge was put across Bell Street, on the south side of the existing bridge, to carry the spur.
The former eastbound platform has the former stable block of College Goods just to the north.
Glasgow St Enoch
St Enoch [Subway]
Glasgow Queen Street Low Level
Glasgow Queen Street High Level
Buchanan Street [Subway]
Central Station Broomielaw Hoist
| St Johns Junction|
Bridgeton Central Junction
Barrack Street Tunnel
College Goods Signal Box [GSWR]
College North Junction
High Street Goods
St Enoch Locomotive Depot
Barracks Mineral Yard
High Street Goods Signal Box
Bridgeton Cross South Junction
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|19/12/1870||City of Glasgow Union Railway|
Gallowgate opened, used as a terminus by the Coatbridge Branch (North British Railway) until the Glasgow College terminus was complete.
|/ /1883||City of Glasgow Union Railway|
Warehouses, part of College Goods, built on the junction of Bell Street and High Street for the Glasgow and South Western Railway. Approach was via a reversing loop built on the line from Gallowgate to High Street East Junction.
|01/10/1892||City of Glasgow Union Railway|
Gallowgate closed. One platform taken up and replaced with further through line.
|01/10/1902||City of Glasgow Union Railway|
Gallowgate station closed.
|/ /1934||City of Glasgow Union Railway|
Gallowgate closed completely.