City of Glasgow Union Railway

Introduction

The major feature of this line was Glasgow St Enoch station. This station was famous for its quality hotel. The station has been closed an completely demolished. There were two glazed roofs side-by-side here situated above the Glasgow streets. The original smaller version of the station was called Dunlop Street. The site of the station is now several car-parks and the St Enochs shopping centre.

This railway is open to freight between Shields Road and High Street. Between Bellgrove and Springburn the line is open to passenger trains. A new line (the Cowlairs Chord) has been brought into use to allow trains to run down the line from Glasgow Queen Street High Level. The line has a link to the line to Cumbernauld and trains from High Level Queen Street use this link. The section of the line between Gorbals and Larkfield is closed and uplifted.






Dates

  /  /1864[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
Act receives Royal assent
  /  /1870[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
Shields Road station opened
02/06/1870[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
First Bridge over the Clyde in central Glasgow opened.
12/12/1870[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
Four platform terminus, Dunlop Street opened (temporary version of St Enochs)
12/12/1870[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
Opened between Pollockshields and Dunlop Street. Main line services start to use the new station, local services continue to use Bridge Street.
19/12/1870[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
Gallowgate opened, used as a terminus by the [North British Railway]s [Coatbridge Branch] until the College terminus was complete.
19/12/1870[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
Main Street opened
01/06/1871[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
The [Glasgow and South Western Railway] Bus trains start running between Bellgrove and Shields Road.
01/01/1872[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
Main Street Gorbals station opened.
16/08/1875[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
Bellgrove to Spingburn opened for goods, Haghill Junction to Parkhead Junction opened.
17/10/1876[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
Dunlop Street closed
17/10/1876[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
Glasgow St Enoch opened. Through service from London St Pancras via the [Midland Railway] starts.
17/10/1876City of Glasgow Union Railway
Connection from Gorbals on the City of Glasgow Union Railway to South Side on the Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway opened.
01/08/1877[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
Gorbals opened to replace South Side.
01/01/1881[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
Bus train service to Shields Road extended to Alexandra Park (later called Alexandria Parade).
  /  /1883[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
Warehouses built on the junction of Bell Street and High Street for the [Glasgow and South Western Railway]. Approach was via a reversing loop built on the line from Gallowgate to High Street East Junction.
29/06/1883[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
St Enochs station and approach lines south of Bellgrove taken over by the [Glasgow and South Western Railway]. Lines north of Bellgrove taken over by the [North British Railway].
01/10/1883[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
Bus train service to Shields Road extended to Barnhill.
  /  /1884[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
St Enochs locomotive shed opened. This was built in the triangle of lines bounded by St Enochs station, Saltmarket Junction and Clyde Junction. The lines ran south from the shed to Clyde Junction. The area under the shed was notorious for oil dripping down on passers by.
01/01/1887[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
Bus train service to Shields Road extended to Springburn.
01/02/1887[Glasgow City and District Railway]
[Coatbridge Branch] ([North British Railway])
[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
[Glasgow Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway]
[Stobcross Railway]
Circular service introduced by the [North British Railway].
01/10/1892[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
Gallowgate closed. One platform taken up and replaced with further through line.
01/04/1893[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
[Glasgow and South Western Railway] services through the St Johns Tunnel to Gallowgate Central and on to Bridgeton begin.
  /  /1896[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
[Glasgow and South Western Railway]
[North British Railway]
City of Glasgow Union Railway absorbed and divided between Glasgow and South Western Railway and North British Railway.
07/08/1896[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
Company wound up.
  /  /1898[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
A further 6 platforms at St Enoch start being built
  /  /1898[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
St Enochs to Port Eglinton Junction quadrupled.
30/09/1900[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
Main Street closed, replaced by Eglinton Street (later renamed Cumberland Street).
  /  /1901[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
Expanded St Enoch station opened complete with re-built Clyde bridge was accommodates 4 tracks.
  /  /1902[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
Construction complete
01/10/1902[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
The [Glasgow and South Western Railway] Bus trains stop running due to Tram competition.
01/10/1902[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
Gallowgate station closed.
12/01/1903[Glasgow City and District Railway]
[Coatbridge Branch] ([North British Railway])
[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
[Glasgow Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway]
[Stobcross Railway]
Circular service withdrawn.
27/07/1903[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
A busy Isle of Man boat train from Ardrossan over-runs the buffers at platform 8 in St Enochs and two carriages are telescoped and hit the stations glass roof. 16 were killed and 27 injured. The train was apparently terminated in a shorter platform than usual due to renovation work and the driver, Henry Northcott, had assumed a greater braking distance.
01/03/1910[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
Garngad closed.
01/02/1913[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
[Glasgow and South Western Railway] services from the [City of Glasgow Union Railway] to Bridgeton Central are withdrawn. The link between the [City of Glasgow Union Railway] and [Glasgow City and District Railway] is closed.
01/11/1924[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
Shields station closed
01/04/1925[Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway]
[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
New Shields Road station opened incorporating the [Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway] Pollockshields station, [City of Glasgow Union Railway] Shields Road station and [Paisley Canal Line] Shields stations.
01/06/1928[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
Gorbals closed and its platforms cut back.
  /  /1934[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
Gallowgate closed completely
  /  /1935[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
St Enochs locomotive shed closed and used as a locomotive store
  /  /1935[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
St Enoch locomotive shed closed, but continues in use as a stabling and storage point.
  /10/1965[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
Haghill Yard closed
  /  /1966[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
St Enochs station closed
14/02/1966[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
Cumberland Street closed.
14/02/1966[Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway]
[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
Shields Road closed.
18/04/1966[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
Glasgow St Enoch (Gorbals Junction) to Strathbungo Junction closed to passengers
27/06/1966[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
Glasgow St Enoch to Shields Junction closed to passengers
27/06/1966[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
Glasgow St Enoch closed
05/06/1967[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
Glasgow St Enoch to Clyde Junction closed to Parcel traffic.
23/06/1973[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
Glasgow St Enoch (Gorbals Junction) to Strathbungo Junction closed to freight
  /  /1975[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
St Enoch station clock removed
  /  /1977[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
St Enoch station starts to be demolished after having been a car-park. Rubble used to fill the Queens Dock (Glasgow).
  /  /1981[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
Haghill Junction to Parkhead North closed.
  /  /1984[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
Dis-used warehouses at Bell Street start to be converted into flats
06/03/1989[Coatbridge Branch] ([North British Railway])
[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
Crash at Bellgrove station when a train leaves Bellgrove station passing a red light (SPAD) and runs onto the single lead of the Springburn line striking a train leaving the branch. 2 were killed and 40 injured.

Portions of line and locations

This line is divided into a number of portions.


Pollok Junction to St Enoch

This opened from Pollok Junction to Dunlop Street in 1870.

This is the junction between the forer Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway and the later City of Glasgow Union Railway (opened 1870). The junction allowed trains from Glasgow St Enoch to join the route west to Paisley Gilmour Street. The junction was immediately west of the closed Shields Road station.
...

More details

This was a two platform station - the southern two platforms of the four platform Shields Road station, the two platforms to the north were riginally Pollokshields station.
...

More details
One of Ayr shed's 'Crab' 2-6-0s no 42745 passing through Shields Road on Saturday 18 April 1959 with an Ayr - Glasgow St Enoch train. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 18/04/1959
Ex-Caledonian Pickersgill 4-4-0 no 54468 approaching Shields Road station on 6 June 1950 at the head of a Princes Pier to St Enoch train. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 06/06/1950
Ex-NB J37 0-6-0 64563 approaching from Pollok Junction and about to run through Shields Road station on 22 September 1956. The freight is on the down ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 22/09/1956

This junction gave access to Port Eglinton Goods from the west. The signal box here closed in 1903 when control was taken over by Port Eglinton Junction. The line and goods yard closed in 1966. ...

More details

This was an important junction where the routes to Ayrshire via Paisley Gilmour Street and Paisley Canal met before running together to Glasgow St Enoch. The layout altered over the years.
...

More details
Caledonian 0-4-4T 55219 at Port Eglinton Junction on 25 April 1959 with a train of empty stock for St Enoch. [Ref query 1677] ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 25/04/1959
BR Standard 2-6-4T 80127 passing Port Eglinton Junction on 5 May 1956 with a Saturday service to Largs. The class 4 tank locomotive had arrived at ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 05/05/1956
BR 'Clan' light Pacific no 72007 Clan Mackintosh passing Shields Bank on 26 September 1959 with a Glasgow - Stranraer train. [The box in the ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 26/09/1959

This was a four platform elevated station on the east side of Eglinton Street running east as far as the bridge over Surrey Street the Cumberland Street junction.
...

More details
Cumberland Street, main station entrance, March 2007. ...
John Furnevel 11/03/2007
Cumberland Street - view west, 11 March 2007. ...
John Furnevel 11/03/2007
Rear view of the former Cumberland Street station on 11 March 2007, looking west towards Eglinton Street. ...
John Furnevel 11/03/2007
Fine looking window of Cumberland Street Station... just a pity its boarded up!! ...
Colin Harkins 10/02/2007

Gorbals Junction was to the north of this station. As built, the line was double track from St Enoch to this junction. The station was built on the V of the junction.
...

More details

This junction on the City of Glasgow Union Railway was between the approaches to Glasgow St Enoch from Cumberland Street (and the west via Paisley Gilmour Street or Paisley Canal) and Strathbungo (and the south to Barrhead and Kilmarnock).
...

More details
Jubilee 45691 Orion passing through Gorbals Junction on Saturday 5 May 1956 with a Glasgow St Enoch - Stranraer express. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 05/05/1956
The 6.21pm St Enoch - East Kilbride DMU runs south through Gorbals Junction on 20 July 1961. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 20/07/1961
The 5.30pm St Enoch - Carlisle runs south through Gorbals Junction shortly after commencing its journey on 20 July 1961. At the head of the train is ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 20/07/1961
Looking north towards Gorbals Junction in 1999 from the top of the access stairway in the V between the lines to Paisley (left) and Barrhead (now ...
Ewan Crawford //1999

This was the junction between the lines into Glasgow St Enoch (opened in 1870 to the east end of the station "Dunlop Street") and those from Saltmarket Junction and the east (1871). It allowed trains from the terminus to run south to Gorbals Junction and then either west to Paisley and Ayrshire or south to Barrhead, Kilmarnock, Carlisle and beyond.
...

More details
Ex-NBR class J37 0-6-0 no 64563 brings a northbound goods train through Clyde Junction on 21 September 1958. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 21/09/1958
A Saturday service from Renfrew passing through Clyde Junction on the approach to St Enoch on 8 June 1957. The locomotive is Caley 3F 0-6-0 no 57562. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 08/06/1957
Corkerhill Black 5 45164 rounds the curve between Saltmarket Junction and Clyde Junction in June 1961 with a freight from College Goods bound for ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 20/06/1961
Corkerhill Jubilee 4-6-0 no 45707 Valiant takes a southbound freight through Clyde Junction and onto the viaduct in June 1961. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 20/06/1961

This was a temporary terminus in Glasgow while the land for Glasgow St Enoch completed purchase and construction between 1870 and 1876. The station had four platforms, along the lines of the later station, between Dunlop Street and Stockwell Street. The station was also known as Central Station.
...

More details

This was a large terminus with 12 platforms in Glasgow. The main entrance was from St Enoch Square in the city centre.
...

More details
Class 5MT 73100 departs St Enoch on 1013 to Largs. ...
David Murray-Smith 19/03/1961
A train for Greenock Princes Pier leaves St Enoch in March 1954 behind ex-Caledonian 4-4-0 54440. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 31/03/1954
On the 26th of June it was half a century since St. Enoch closed. This is a selection of tickets to and from St. Enoch and various other destinations ...
Colin Miller 26/06/2016
Ex-Caledonian 2P 0-4-4T 55143 on duty at St Enoch on 15 April 1950. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 15/04/1950




Clyde Junction to High Street Junction

This opened in 1871.

This was the junction between the lines into Glasgow St Enoch (opened in 1870 to the east end of the station "Dunlop Street") and those from Saltmarket Junction and the east (1871). It allowed trains from the terminus to run south to Gorbals Junction and then either west to Paisley and Ayrshire or south to Barrhead, Kilmarnock, Carlisle and beyond.
...

More details
Ex-NBR class J37 0-6-0 no 64563 brings a northbound goods train through Clyde Junction on 21 September 1958. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 21/09/1958
A Saturday service from Renfrew passing through Clyde Junction on the approach to St Enoch on 8 June 1957. The locomotive is Caley 3F 0-6-0 no 57562. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 08/06/1957
Corkerhill Black 5 45164 rounds the curve between Saltmarket Junction and Clyde Junction in June 1961 with a freight from College Goods bound for ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 20/06/1961
Corkerhill Jubilee 4-6-0 no 45707 Valiant takes a southbound freight through Clyde Junction and onto the viaduct in June 1961. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 20/06/1961

A curve opened from Saltmarket Junction on the existing line from Gorbals Junction to High Street Junction (1871) in 1882. This served platforms 1 and 2 at Glasgow St Enoch.
...

More details
Looking south along Saltmarket in March 2007 at the bridge carrying the CGU line from Saltmarket Junction (right) on towards Gallowgate. ...
John Furnevel 25/03/2007
The view east along Osborne Street, Glasgow from the bridge abutment at King Street. Off to the right is the cleared site of St Enoch's locomotive ...
Colin Miller 22/08/2017
Looking to Saltmarket Junction from the severed approach to St Enoch station. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987
The urban viaduct that brought the line west from Saltmarket Junction into St Enoch now terminates at King Street. View looking east along Osborne ...
John Furnevel 25/03/2007

This was a two platform station on a raised section of line. The line remains open.
...

More details
Looking west at what was Gallowgate. The CGU line is still open here but not used a great deal. ...
Ewan Crawford 05/05/2006
Looking west over the CGU just east of Gallowgate. The College Goods Yard was straight ahead and the warehousing still standing on the left was part ...
Ewan Crawford 05/05/2006
Part of the south abutment of the CGU viaduct in the Gallowgate on 1 April 2007 - with various interesting messages alongside. ...
John Furnevel 01/04/2007
Looking north at the top of Molendinar Street in 2007, with Gallowgate behind the camera. The bridge carries the CGU line between Saltmarket Junction ...
John Furnevel 06/05/2007

This junction was east of Gallowgate station. To the east the line splt into four routes which were, from north to south, the goods loop used for reversal into College Goods, the line to High Street Junction, a series of dead end sidings and the link to Gallowgate Central Junction.
...

More details

High Street Junction looking west. The St Johns link would create a triangle here. Left to right; GSW link to Bridgeton Central (lifted), CGU, College ...
Ewan Crawford //1987
High Street East Junction (now High Street Junction) looking west. Left to right; CGU line, College goods (closed), GCDR and High Street Goods ...
Ewan Crawford 05/05/2006
To the east of High Street East Junction looking west. The line to the Barracks mineral yard was to the left, then the High Street signalbox and then ...
Ewan Crawford 05/05/2006
334025 on an Edinburgh - Milngavie service begins the descent to High Street station and the low level tunnel section of the line on 24th January ...
Colin McDonald 24/01/2015




Scotland Street Junction to Port Eglinton Junction

Opened in 1874 this gave access to General Terminus.

This was the junction between the original General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway and a connection from the City of Glasgow Union Railway from Port Eglinton Junction. The junction allowed trains from the latter line access to General Terminus from the south.
...

More details
Scotland Street Junction signalbox in the shade of the M8. This box controlled the exit from General terminus and the junction between the lines from ...
Ewan Crawford //1987

This box controlled the east end of the climb from the Scotland Street Junction, on the approach to General Terminus, to Port Eglinton Junction.
...

More details

This was an important junction where the routes to Ayrshire via Paisley Gilmour Street and Paisley Canal met before running together to Glasgow St Enoch. The layout altered over the years.
...

More details
Caledonian 0-4-4T 55219 at Port Eglinton Junction on 25 April 1959 with a train of empty stock for St Enoch. [Ref query 1677] ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 25/04/1959
BR Standard 2-6-4T 80127 passing Port Eglinton Junction on 5 May 1956 with a Saturday service to Largs. The class 4 tank locomotive had arrived at ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 05/05/1956
BR 'Clan' light Pacific no 72007 Clan Mackintosh passing Shields Bank on 26 September 1959 with a Glasgow - Stranraer train. [The box in the ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 26/09/1959




Saltmarket Junction to St Enoch

Opened in 1882.

This was a large terminus with 12 platforms in Glasgow. The main entrance was from St Enoch Square in the city centre.
...

More details
Class 5MT 73100 departs St Enoch on 1013 to Largs. ...
David Murray-Smith 19/03/1961
A train for Greenock Princes Pier leaves St Enoch in March 1954 behind ex-Caledonian 4-4-0 54440. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 31/03/1954
On the 26th of June it was half a century since St. Enoch closed. This is a selection of tickets to and from St. Enoch and various other destinations ...
Colin Miller 26/06/2016
Ex-Caledonian 2P 0-4-4T 55143 on duty at St Enoch on 15 April 1950. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 15/04/1950

A curve opened from Saltmarket Junction on the existing line from Gorbals Junction to High Street Junction (1871) in 1882. This served platforms 1 and 2 at Glasgow St Enoch.
...

More details
Looking south along Saltmarket in March 2007 at the bridge carrying the CGU line from Saltmarket Junction (right) on towards Gallowgate. ...
John Furnevel 25/03/2007
The view east along Osborne Street, Glasgow from the bridge abutment at King Street. Off to the right is the cleared site of St Enoch's locomotive ...
Colin Miller 22/08/2017
Looking to Saltmarket Junction from the severed approach to St Enoch station. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987
The urban viaduct that brought the line west from Saltmarket Junction into St Enoch now terminates at King Street. View looking east along Osborne ...
John Furnevel 25/03/2007




South Side to Gorbals Junction

Opened in 1876.

This terminus was located at the junction of Pollokshaws Road and Cathcart Street (now Cathcart Road). Initially it was the Glasgow terminus of the Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston direct Railway. An eastern portion was added to the station, opened with the Clydesdale Junction Railway and Hamilton branch. The terminus was on the south side of the River Clyde, a little distant from old ...

More details
Black 5 4-6-0 no 44992, with a train of empty stock destined for St Enoch, photographed alongside the former South Side station on 20 July 1961. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 20/07/1961
Standard 2-6-4 tank shunting empty stock alongside the site of South Side station in July 1961. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 20/07/1961


Gorbals station consisted of four platforms, 2 platforms on the line south to Barrhead and 2 on the line west to Paisley known as Main Street Gorbals. The station was above street level.
...

More details
Class 2P 4-4-0 40620 runs through Gorbals station on 20 July 1961 with empty stock for South Side. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 20/07/1961
Looking north through Gorbals station on 20 July 1961 as the 5.33pm St Enoch - East Kilbride approaches. The locomotive is one of Polmadie shed's ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 20/07/1961
A Kilmarnock - St Enoch train runs through the remains of the southbound platforms of Gorbals station on 20 July 1961. At the head of the train is ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 20/07/1961
Standard 2-6-4 tank 80127 runs north through the remains of Gorbals station (closed 1928) with a Neilston Low - St Enoch train in the summer of 1961. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 20/07/1961

This junction on the City of Glasgow Union Railway was between the approaches to Glasgow St Enoch from Cumberland Street (and the west via Paisley Gilmour Street or Paisley Canal) and Strathbungo (and the south to Barrhead and Kilmarnock).
...

More details
Jubilee 45691 Orion passing through Gorbals Junction on Saturday 5 May 1956 with a Glasgow St Enoch - Stranraer express. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 05/05/1956
The 6.21pm St Enoch - East Kilbride DMU runs south through Gorbals Junction on 20 July 1961. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 20/07/1961
The 5.30pm St Enoch - Carlisle runs south through Gorbals Junction shortly after commencing its journey on 20 July 1961. At the head of the train is ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 20/07/1961
Looking north towards Gorbals Junction in 1999 from the top of the access stairway in the V between the lines to Paisley (left) and Barrhead (now ...
Ewan Crawford //1999




St Johns Junction to Gallowgate Junction

Allowed access to Bridgeton Central. Opened 1893.

This junction was east of Gallowgate station. To the east the line splt into four routes which were, from north to south, the goods loop used for reversal into College Goods, the line to High Street Junction, a series of dead end sidings and the link to Gallowgate Central Junction.
...

More details


This was a two platform station to the south of Bridgeton Cross South Junction. The station was in a deep dressed stone cutting.
...

More details
More canopy markings... this time on the other platform. ...
Colin Harkins 29/03/2007
The view from Gallowgate Tunnel toward the Station in Black and White. ...
Colin Harkins 29/03/2007
The view from Gallowgate Tunnel toward the Station. The entrance was immediately above the tunnel exit. ...
Colin Harkins 29/03/2007
What looks like some kind of canopy marking on the overbridge. ...
Colin Harkins 29/03/2007




College Goods Loop

Allowed access to College Goods without fouling the passenger line. Opened 1883.

This junction was east of Gallowgate station. To the east the line splt into four routes which were, from north to south, the goods loop used for reversal into College Goods, the line to High Street Junction, a series of dead end sidings and the link to Gallowgate Central Junction.
...

More details

This large goods yard was the Glasgow and South Western Railway's main goods yard in Glasgow. The site was approached from a loop off the City of Glasgow Union Railway immediately west of High Street Junction. Approach was from the east so trains from the central Glasgow direction, from which most trains would approach, would reverse into the various sidings.
...

More details
The warehousing of the G&SWRs College Goods Yard looking west. The lines were behind this building to the right. Now flats. ...
Ewan Crawford 05/05/2006
The enormous warehouse on Bell Street that was once part of Glasgow's College Goods depot, now converted to flats. Much of the old College goods yard ...
John Furnevel 06/05/2007
Built in the mid 1870s by the City of Glasgow Union on the site of the Old College of the University of Glasgow, the former College Goods warehouse ...
John Furnevel 06/05/2007
Remains of College Goods (GSW). The warehouses still stand and the base of the undercroft can be seen in the foreground. The CGU runs by in the ...
Ewan Crawford //1987

High Street Junction looking west. The St Johns link would create a triangle here. Left to right; GSW link to Bridgeton Central (lifted), CGU, College ...
Ewan Crawford //1987
High Street East Junction (now High Street Junction) looking west. Left to right; CGU line, College goods (closed), GCDR and High Street Goods ...
Ewan Crawford 05/05/2006
To the east of High Street East Junction looking west. The line to the Barracks mineral yard was to the left, then the High Street signalbox and then ...
Ewan Crawford 05/05/2006
334025 on an Edinburgh - Milngavie service begins the descent to High Street station and the low level tunnel section of the line on 24th January ...
Colin McDonald 24/01/2015




Bellgrove to Cowlairs

Opened 1875.

The Dropper has come loose from the Contact Wire. This was noticed just East of Duke Street ...
Colin Harkins 29/08/2006
An unidentified electric multiple unit, sandwiched between two translator coaches, is hauled by 47805 up the gradient towards Eastfield on 23rd ...
Colin McDonald 23/12/2015
The 11:10 service to Cumbernauld passes the SPAD signal [see image 33386] on 6 October approaching the single lead Bellgrove Junction. It is about to ...
Colin McDonald 06/10/2014
320 321 comes off the Springburn branch at Bellgrove Junction on 26 March 2011 with a Dalmuir service. ...
David Panton 26/03/2011

This is a two platform station. There was a booking office by Alexandra Cross which survived until the 1980s. There was no signal box, Haghill Junction being just to the north. ...

More details
A Cumbernauld to Dumbarton Central calls at Duke Street during one of the day's frequent showers. ...
David Panton 05/08/2017
A Dumbarton Central to Cumbernauld service calls at Duke Street on 25 August 2018. The run to Alexandra Parade vies with two others for being the ...
David Panton 25/08/2018
A Cumbernauld service calls at Duke Street on 13th January 2018 with, appropriately, Cumbernauld Road as a backdrop. Baking bread smells waft from the ...
David Panton 13/01/2018
The north end of Duke Street station in 1987. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987

Bridge carrying Cumbernauld Road... As you can see it had 3 portals two of which are arched. ...
Colin Harkins 29/09/2006
Standing on Cumbernauld Road bridge, directly above the site of Haghill Junction, on 2 April 2009. View north as a train for Springburn is about to ...
John Furnevel 02/04/2009
Bridge carrying Cumbernauld Road ... A siding of sorts ran through the arched portal. ...
Colin Harkins 29/09/2006
Looking East from Aitken Street, Haghill. Notice how overrun with vegetation it is ... Nature taking over. ...
Colin Harkins 29/09/2006

This is a two platform station in a cutting to the east of Alexandra Park Street. The line is crossed by Alexandra Parade to the south with ramps down to the platforms. There is no car park. Alexandra Park is to the east.
...

More details
A Dumbarton Central service enters Alexandra Parade, the location named after King Edward VII's long-suffering consort. The destination is Dumbarton ...
David Panton 25/08/2018
The 1053 service to Dalmuir seen from under the road bridge at Alexandra Parade on 23rd December 2014. ...
Colin McDonald 23/12/2014
These days Alexandra Parade is days mainly served by Cumbernauld to
...
David Panton 20/01/2018
Alexandra Parade looking south towards Haghill Junction. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987

This was a four platform station of two islands.
...

More details
Parkhead class N2 0-6-2T no 69563 passing Garngad on 8 May 1956 at the head of a Hyndland - Springburn train. Garngad station had closed to ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 08/05/1956
V1 67661 with a Clydebank East - Springburn train passing below Royston Road and through the site of the former Garngad station, three quarters of a ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 08/05/1956

Garngad Goods was located to the south of the Garngad station, west of the line, curving off from the station with tracks running to the west. ...

More details

This is a suburban two platform station.
...

More details
There cannot be many stations in the UK with a platform indicator for the next station at the end of the platform, but Springburn is rather close. ...
David Panton 01/12/2018
320 310 at Barnhill about to start the final leg of its journey to Springburn on 12 January 2008. ...
David Panton 12/01/2008
Barnhill looking south to Barnhill tunnel. Note Sealink coaches up on embankment at St Rollox in distance. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987
Hunting pink is red, red tape is pink, and Strathclyde red is... orange. While it looked OK on older stock it doesn't to me seem quite right on a 320, ...
David Panton 04/06/1998

The City of Glasgow Union Railway ran from Cowlairs West Junction parallel to the Sighthill Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway) and a junction existed here between these lines and the exchange line to Sighthill East Junction on the Caledonian Railway. ...

More details
DMU for Cumbernauld passes Sighthill Junction. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987
Sighthill Junction. Left to right; line for St Rollox, chord to Germiston and line to Barnhill and Bellgrove. The box survived the Yoker resignaling ...
Ewan Crawford //1987
Parkhead V1 67655 on a Dalmuir - Springburn train at Sighthill Junction on 8 May 1956. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 08/05/1956
An oil train from Paisley (Hawkhead) passes Sighthill Junction signalbox (now demolished) heading for the E&G. It is following the alignment of the ...
Ewan Crawford //1989

This works was established by Walter Montgomerie Neilson beside the City of Glasgow Union Railway which had opened in 1875. The works was across the CGU and Sighthill Branch from the Hyde Park Works [2nd]. Neilson had formerly been a partner in the competing works.
...

More details

This is a four platform station. Two platforms are through lines and two are bays served from the south east.
...

More details
Going my way? Scenes like this at Springburn will soon be a thing of the past when the timetable changes on 9 December 2018. Until then North Clyde ...
David Panton 01/12/2018
A Cumbernauld to Dumbarton Central service enters Springburn on 5 August, seconds after an opposite working using the nearer track (for Platform 2). ...
David Panton 05/08/2017
The driver of 320 320 (so good they named it twice) has just changed ends
...
David Panton 17/06/2017
66736 hauls the alumina train for Fort William through Springburn on 21 June. ...
Bill Roberton 21/06/2018

This was the short lived junction between the Glasgow Buchanan Street to Milton Junction alignment and the Sighthill Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway).
...

More details
365523 heads away from Sighthill West Junction with a Shields - Eastfield transfer. ...
Bill Roberton 21/06/2018
New maintenance centre under construction at Cowlairs. ...
Ewan Crawford 02/02/2008
170 459 approaches Springburn station with a service from Glasgow Queen Street High Level on 16 October.  It has just cleared the cord from Cowlairs ...
David Panton 16/10/2010
Cumbernauld - Glasgow service takes the Cowlairs Chord past the site of the new maintenance and signalling centres at Cowlairs. ...
Ewan Crawford 02/02/2008

This is a four way junction. The 1842 Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway is met by the 1855 Sighthill Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway) and the 1858 Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway. The City of Glasgow Union Railway's north end reached here in 1875.
...

More details
A class N2 0-6-2T passing Cowlairs West Junction with empty stock in September 1955. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 06/09/1955
Thornton based D49 4-4-0 no 62749 Rutlandshire photographed at Cowlairs West on 26 June 1956 with a train from Fife. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 26/06/1956
A workman's train running through Cowlairs West Junction on 18 May 1954 behind 'Director' class 4-4-0 no 62675 Colonel Gardiner. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 18/05/1954
Ex-Caledonian 0-6-0 no 57625 passing Cowlairs West Junction on 18 May 1954 at the head of a down coal train. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 18/05/1954




Parkhead to Alexandria Parade

Opened 1875.

The lines from Bellgrove and Alexandra Parade met here. The junction was east of Parkhead North station. The signal box here survived closure of the junction and was swept away by the Yoker re-signalling scheme.
...

More details
Underneath the Parkhead branch line of the City of Glasgow Union Railway. ...
Colin Harkins 29/08/2006
British Rail Subsiduary marking on bridge... BRB site quote Glasgow: Former Haghill Branch from Todd Street to Cumbernauld Road G-HHB-577-1A. ...
Colin Harkins 29/08/2006
V3 67643 passing Parkhead Junction eastbound on 1 May 1958 with a Hyndland - Airdrie train. The line running off to the right is the link to Haghill ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 01/05/1958
Remains of overbridge to path below at Parkhead looking toward Haghill. ...
Colin Harkins 29/08/2006

Bridge carrying Cumbernauld Road... As you can see it had 3 portals two of which are arched. ...
Colin Harkins 29/09/2006
Standing on Cumbernauld Road bridge, directly above the site of Haghill Junction, on 2 April 2009. View north as a train for Springburn is about to ...
John Furnevel 02/04/2009
Bridge carrying Cumbernauld Road ... A siding of sorts ran through the arched portal. ...
Colin Harkins 29/09/2006
Looking East from Aitken Street, Haghill. Notice how overrun with vegetation it is ... Nature taking over. ...
Colin Harkins 29/09/2006




St Enoch Shed

Opened 1885.

This was the junction between the lines into Glasgow St Enoch (opened in 1870 to the east end of the station "Dunlop Street") and those from Saltmarket Junction and the east (1871). It allowed trains from the terminus to run south to Gorbals Junction and then either west to Paisley and Ayrshire or south to Barrhead, Kilmarnock, Carlisle and beyond.
...

More details
Ex-NBR class J37 0-6-0 no 64563 brings a northbound goods train through Clyde Junction on 21 September 1958. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 21/09/1958
A Saturday service from Renfrew passing through Clyde Junction on the approach to St Enoch on 8 June 1957. The locomotive is Caley 3F 0-6-0 no 57562. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 08/06/1957
Corkerhill Black 5 45164 rounds the curve between Saltmarket Junction and Clyde Junction in June 1961 with a freight from College Goods bound for ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 20/06/1961
Corkerhill Jubilee 4-6-0 no 45707 Valiant takes a southbound freight through Clyde Junction and onto the viaduct in June 1961. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 20/06/1961

This was a 12 road locomotive shed built in the triangle of lines Glasgow St Enoch Station - Clyde Junction [CGU] - Saltmarket Junction. Although the triangle of lines was useful for turning engines there was a turntable on the west side of the shed.
...

More details