Location type


Name and dates

Strathbungo (1877-1962)

Opened on the Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway.


This was a two platform station on the Glasgow to Barrhead line with waiting rooms on the platforms and an office on the road overbridge at the north east end. The city bound platform was larger than the southbound platform and had ornamental gardens.

The station was immediately south west of Strathbungo Junction and immediately south of Pollokshields West station (opened 1894) on the Cathcart District Railway.

The station did not open with the line when the Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway, associated with the Caledonian Railway, opened in 1848 but was a later addition in 1877 which was not long after the line became joint Glasgow and South Western Railway and Caledonian Railway with the line's extension to Kilmarnock. Strathbungo Junction, to the north east of the station, was where the Caledonian Railway approach to Glasgow Central and the Glasgow and South Western Railway approach to Glasgow St Enoch divided. (The latter was joint owned as far as South Side [GB and NDR].)

There was no goods yard. The bridge upon which the ticket office stands was designed to cross four tracks, in anticipation of increased traffic, but the line was never quadrupled. (The ticket office at nearby Crossmyloof was also above the line to allow quadrupling.) Quadrupling was not an impossibility, the Paisley route to Glasgow St Enoch was quadrupled as was the Rutherglen approach to Glasgow Central.

With the development of further housing in the area, between this station and Pollokshields West, a second footbridge was installed south west of the station, between Darnley Place/Darnley Road and Moray Place/Marywood Square.

The station closed in 1962. Pollokshields West had a more frequent service to Glasgow.

The platform mounds, footbridge (with access to the former platforms removed) and former ticket office remained after closure. The station footbridge was C listed.

The ticket office and original footbridge were removed for electrification of the Barrhead and East Kilbride routes and road bridge raised. The footbridge will be replaced. The second footbridge to the south west has been removed.



External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67

Chronology Dates

  /  /1877Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway
Strathbungo station opened directly south west of Strathbungo Junction.
19/07/1887Cathcart District Railway
Extension of line to Strathbungo, Act receives Royal assent.
  /  /1962Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway
Strathbungo station closed.

News items

17/08/2023Network Rail bridges a new future for Strathbungo [Network Rail]
12/06/2023New footbridge installed at Strathbungo [Network Rail]
20/03/2023Work start on new Strathbungo footbridge [Network Rail]
08/02/2023Network Rail finds new home for historic footbridge [Network Rail]
09/01/2023Glasgow locals react as historic footbridge dismantled [Glasgow Times]
12/08/2022Network Rail criticised for 'sad' loss of trees in Glasgow's Southside [Glasgow Times]
07/08/2022In pictures: Demolition of Susie's Store in Glasgow's Southside [Glasgow Times]
02/08/2022Bridge set for demolition in Glasgow's southside [Network Rail]
21/01/2022Susie's Store in Strathbungo to be demolished by Network Rail [Glasgow Times]
30/07/2021Network Rail thanks Strathbungo community after footbridge design vote [Network Rail Media Centre]


An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways