This line is open. Today it is part of the line known as the Glasgow, Barrhead and Kilmarnock or GBK.
The line between Glasgow Central and Barrhead is supported and promoted by the South West Glasgow Community Rail Partnership .
|/ /1847||Glasgow Southern Terminal Railway|
[Glasgow Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway]
Glasgow Southern Terminal Railway absorbed by Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway.
|/ /1848||Hurlet Waggonway|
Closed when nearby Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway progressively replaces it.
|01/06/1849||Clydesdale Junction Railway|
Glasgow terminus, South Side opened on a short branch from the former Polloc and Govan Railway at Gushetfaulds. The terminus was immediately beside the Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway terminus.
|/ /1851||[Glasgow Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway]|
Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway absorbed by Caledonian Railway
|17/10/1876||City of Glasgow Union Railway|
Connection from Gorbals on the City of Glasgow Union Railway to South Side on the Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway opened.
These locations are along the line.
This terminus was located at the junction of Pollokshaws Road and Cathcart Street (now Cathcart Road). Initially it was the Glasgow terminus of the Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston direct Railway. An eastern portion was added to the station, opened with the Clydesdale Junction Railway and Hamilton branch. The terminus was on the south side of the River Clyde, a little distant from old ...More details
This junction opened in 1877. It is a double track junction, the eastern end of a chord opened between Langside Junction on the Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway of 1848 and the Polloc and Govan Railway of 1840. The curve is marked on OS maps as the 'Polloc, Govan and Kilmarnock Joint Line Connecting Branch'.
This junction remains open.
This was a two platform station with waiting rooms on the platforms and an office on the road overbridge at the east end.
This is a two platform station.
This goods and minerals depot was located to the north of Pollockshaws West station and the Pollockshaws Viaduct. The yard was on both sides of the line. The goods shed and loading bank was on the east side, approached from the south. Sidings on the west side were approached from the north.
This is a two platform station with original station buildings on both platforms. It is now the oldest station in the Glasgow area.
This is a two platform station.
This is a relatively new minimal two platform station, of 1990, opened to serve housing developments.
This is a two platform station with a lattice footbridge. The platforms are slightly staggered.
This is a large masonry two track structure. There are two large arches over the Levern Water to the west, a large masonry section and then a smaller arch over Salterland Road to the east. The bridge is east of Barrhead North Junction. ...More details
This is a three platform station to the south west of Glasgow. One platform, on the north side, is a bay platform for Glasgow. It enjoys a commuter service to Glasgow Central and is also served by longer distance trains between Glasgow and Carlisle. A signal box still stands to the east of the station.
This was a terminus. The site of the station has been mostly obliterated by extension of the railway south in 1870 and in a re-alignment of the A736, although a large retaining wall remains next to the former alignment of the road. It was replaced by Neilston Low just to the south east. ...More details