General Terminus (1848-1987)
Opened on the General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway.
This large goods and mineral terminus served a quayside on the River Clyde.
It was built with a considerable fan of rails finishing at the quayside. The terminus replaced the earlier, and smaller, depot at Windmillcroft Quay, which was to the east. The quayside was approached by eight groups of sidings and a quayside line was reached by turnplates. There were four cranes.
The site was re-built several times. It was to have nine approach lines and include Mavisbank Quay and the Princes Dock to the west and Springfield Quay and the Kingston Dock to the east, all rail served.
Latterly, after refitting as a iron ore terminus in the 1950s, it was a coal and iron ore import terminal largely used in connection with the Clyde Iron Works and the Ravenscraig Steel Works. There were three large cranes, a conveyor system and large loading shed.
The scale of the site can be gauged by its being approached by a railway eight tracks wide to the south and that the Caledonian Railway (who owned it), North British Railway and Glasgow and South Western Railway all made use of it, the latter two approaching by the jointly owned City of Glasgow Union Railway.
The site was closed in 1978 on the opening of the Hunterston Ore Terminal but much of it remained intact, including the approach railway, until 1987.
Little remains of the terminus now, the west of the site now being occupied by housing and east by the Springfield Quay development. The large cutting carrying the approach lines has been infilled and a light industrial estate built.
Shields Road [Subway]
Shields Road [GPJ]
Shields Road [CGU]
Kinning Park [Subway]
West Street [Subway]
Charing Cross [GC and DR]
Other railway and industry locations
General Terminus Quay
Lancefield Diesel Engine Works
Hyde Park Works [1st]
South Dock Foundry
Stobcross Street Tunnel
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|