Springfield Quay

Location type

Place

Name and dates

Springfield Quay

Description

This quay was on the south bank of the River Clyde opposite Anderston Quay. To the west was General Terminus Quay and to the east the entry to the Kingston Dock, beyond which was Windmillcroft Quay.

The quay was the waterside terminus of the Govan Waggonway which served the Govan Colliery.

The quayside and transit shed were later served by the General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway lines, coming from the west. One siding reached the swing bridge at the entry to the Kingston Dock, serving its western end (^B^ end).

In 1911 berths 29, 31, 33 & 35 were allocated for general cargo.

Tags

Quay
10/03/2021

Dates

  /  /1775Govan Waggonway
Opened from Govan Colliery to Springfield Quay by William Dixon (Senior) with wooden rails.