Kingston Dock (1867-1966)
The Kingston Dock was on the south side of the River Clyde with an entry to the river at the west end. It was the oldest Glasgow dock. It was built on the former Windmillcroft. Windmillcroft Quay was to the north and east of the site, adjacent to the riverside.
The dock no longer exists having been infilled. The south end of the Kingston Bridge of the M8 corresponds to the infilled west end of the dock.
A serious fire here in 1914 destroyed the warehouses, quaysides and four schooners which were taken to Newshot Island and abandoned on the foreshore. The dock required major reconstruction.
The site was bounded to the west by Springfield Quay and General Terminus and to the east by Windmillcroft Quay and the street level railway serving it.
West Street [Subway]
Central Station Broomielaw Hoist
Shields Road [Subway]
Glasgow Central Low Level
Bridge Street [Subway]
St Enoch [Subway]
Glasgow St Enoch
Shields Road [GPJ]
Shields Road [CGU]
Other railway and industry locations
Clyde Place Quay
Hyde Park Works [1st]
Cook Street Goods
Clyde Place Signal Box
General Terminus Quay
Clyde Viaduct [Glasgow Central]
Clyde Viaduct [Glasgow Central] [1st]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|